If You Need Me VI

Onika M.
Kno. Corp
Manhattan, NY

As bright as the sun. A mile longer than me, or maybe it was my imagination fondling with me. Indescribably beautiful features graced her face as if God had taken precious time to carve every aspect of the colored canvas. The gym was part of her regimen, her great figure whispering secrets pertaining to her strenuous workout routine.

Flashes of heat caused me to wave the manila file inches away from my face for cooling. It was day two at the office, and I couldn't bear the sight of her, in the common area, just a few feet away from me with a pair of gold-rimmed glasses. I'd learned in the short time that I'd been seating across from her that Ms. Knowles was a studious woman. Being that I had a few things to teach her, I wouldn't mind an attentive apprentice.

"It is 2019. There's a thing such as air conditioners, Ms. Maraj. The control panel is behind you."

If she wasn't adding value to your life, conversation or point of view, then Ms. Knowles kept quiet. Throughout the day, she plagued me with the frustrating task of wondering what she had going on in that large head of hers. Like now, as she'd caught me glaring in her direction without shame. Yet, she never lifted her head or gave me the attention I sought.

"You don't talk much." I belted, freeing my mind since she wasn't privy to the same morals.

"When there's something to be said, I will. Silence is as powerful as words."

Silence.

"You talk too much." She concluded, laying the handheld on her desk and swapping it out for the computer.

"I figured someone should say something, or else neither of us would ever converse with one another."

"Has there been a need?"

"I mean. I've never worked anywhere that conversation was forbidden."

"Because you've never worked for me."

Each answer she gave was conclusive, but I was determined to keep her talking. The awkward silence was much more torturing than forcing her into a conversation that she didn't want to have.

"You're absolutely right, but now that I am."

"Nothing changes."

Ms. Knowles didn't spare another second. Immediately, she rose from her chair and sauntered down the hallway. Her message had been received the minute I recognized her destination. She wanted her privacy, or simply to rescue herself from my pressing conversation. After she'd made it down the hallway, the heat I'd harbored dispersed and my temperature lowered.

"She's got to be the most socially awkward motherfu..."

"Ms. Maraj." The sound of her deep voice throughout the office - over the intercom I had no fucking clue existed - raised the hair on my arms and on the back of my neck.

"Yes?"

"Please inform Mr. Drais that I have come to a decision."

"Will do."

"Ms. Maraj," I mocked Ms. Knowles as I scanned the files to find Mr. Drais' number.

It was the second call I'd made to Mr. Drais within the last twenty-four hours. I tapped my pen against the large legal pad while waiting for the phone to be connected. Fortunately, the number we had listed for Mr. Drais was a direct line. He answered the phone with cheer in his voice, sounding all of eighty-years-old. The fragileness in his voice couldn't be veiled.

"Ms. Maraj calling for Ms. Knowles. I've been tasked to inform you that Ms. Knowles has reached a decision. We'd like to see you in the office if you could give me a day and time that works best for you."