81【ANGEL WITHOUT WINGS 】

ANGEL WITHOUT
WINGS

.₊̣̇.ෆ˟̑*̑˚̑*̑˟̑ෆ.₊̣̇.ෆ˟̑*̑˚̑*̑˟̑ෆ.₊̣̇.ෆ˟̑*̑˚̑*̑˟̑ෆ.₊̣̇.ෆ˟̑*̑˚̑*̑˟̑ෆ.₊̣̇

| All this happened, more or less. |

THIRD PERSON's POINT OF VIEW

In front of him, stood an ash blond angel in disguise. Although she's dressed in black, with a crooked halo but creative enough to wear a fake-angel wings made up of feathers. But something's different with her compared to the girl he met in high school. The light in her eyes was gone and her gaze was empty. Adam had waited for her to speak, continuing to roam his eyes around the room observing someone, someone who intrigued him enough to devote his attention to for a majority of the night, but intimidating enough to not approach them.

The angel beauty stayed silent. Adam Cole eventually focused his gaze on her and furrowed his brow.

"Hey."

She perked up and her cast down eyes met his.

"What's going on, Toni?" Adam asked.

She looked at him confused as she tilted her head. Adam's eyes darted to the side and then took a step closer to her.

"What's going-"

"- He lifted my dress."

As Adam processed Toni's words he could feel the alcohol losing its grip on him. Suddenly he's sober, the room surrounded with bright colors and vague figures became clearer. He turned to look where he had seen Toni conversing with this friend of hers, her name he couldn't remember for the life of him. At one point, Adam had briefly paid attention to them and saw an unfamiliar man he also couldn't remember the name of, approaching them. Casually joining the busy conversation the two girls were having. As soon as Adam saw Toni giving the man a disapproving look, he already knows what's up.

His eyes narrowed as he scowled. A tug at his arm pulled him out of his one-man stare down.

"Adam, he lifted my dress. I don't know why...I don't even know who he is... and why he..." Toni continued. "And he laughed like it was a good joke," she shook her head. "But I didn't think it was funny. Not really."

Her words sounded so unsure. Not sure what happened or if it really happened in the first place. Adam was sure if she wasn't so drunk right now, she would be crying. The thought of that caused a lump to form in his throat, making it hard for him to comfort her through words. If that's what she came to him for in the first place, perhaps she simply came to him to make sense of what had happened.

But the way she was standing here in front of him, fingers crumpling up his dress shirt. He couldn't let this pass, especially to someone he knows in high school. He felt the need to protect his friend. It was nostalgic when someone popped on his head. An image of a woman telling him the same exact words.

"If you want, I can be your boyfriend," Adam suggested.

He didn't think Toni could look any more confused.

Fuck, he realized how gross that sounded. As if he was turning that sorrow of hers into an easy opportunity of his. He isn't like that.

Adam scraped his throat. "I can pretend to be I mean," he corrected as he scrunched his nose. "Please, I don't see you that way."

Toni's mouth closed into a tight line. Adam tried to soften his expression. "But I can pretend to, so that doesn't happen to you again." The blonde woman was able to smile at that.

Her grip tightened around the fabric of his dress shirt when a high pitched voice suddenly called out her name. She turned around to see her friend laughing and waving her hands excitedly. The unnamed man they had been conversing with them smirking at her, disgustingly happy to be getting her attention again. Toni leaned closer to Adam as her eyes quickly flickered up to meet his. A sign of help and he nodded at her, noting the agreement her offer just a while ago.

Adam smoothly wrapped an arm around her. He looked down at her face and saw her awkwardly smiling back at her friend, shuffling her feet towards their direction. Adam pressed their shoulders together, pulling her along with him towards the two.

"Hey Hey! Listen to this, he just told me something amusing, coincidentally it reminded me of you so," Toni's friend continued laughing but not getting more than an airy laugh out of any of them.

"Ah Piper," Toni softly whined.

Right. Piper Niven, that was her name.

Pleading eyes were set up against one another and Toni's soft jade eyes lost to her eyes. The girl carefully began explaining the story that had to be told at the moment, her words still so unsure and slurring.

It was a story not for anybody but for them to follow, no space of others to engage in. But where there was no space, the unnamed man tried to make it. Hopelessly trying to insert himself into the conversation, he's actually begging for Toni to at least give as much as a snicker even a nod as he interrupted her with what he seemed to think were witty comments. How pathetic! The girl would only eye him nervously to then immediately revert her attention to her friend.

Adam could tell this pathetic man was getting desperate, trying to invade her space to not be forgotten by her. Adam then pulled Toni even closer, rubbing circles over her shoulder with a thumb. Gradually her body released of its tension. Her shoulders coming back down to earth and her grip losing from the cuff of Adam's sleeve, now mindlessly playing with the fabric. Adam continued the soothing motion until Toni gently rested her head against his shoulder. The guy was then forced to acknowledge his presence. Quickly, they exchanged annoyed glances at each other before he continued his sorry attempts of being somewhat interesting to Toni again.

Oh? He ain't backing down huh? But he's Adam Cole, everyone would eventually give up.

Adam clenched his jaw and started rubbing up Toni's arm. His movements staggered, with slight hesitation. He followed the curve of her shoulder, sliding his hand over her collarbone then curving to her neck, fingers sliding through the soft hairs on her nape, gently scratching. Adam looked down at Toni and he swore her eyes fluttered at his touch. She looked up to meet his eyes, her cheeks seemingly flushed darker than when she had first approached him. A small, innocent smile grew on her face. Her smile felt comforting, a confirmation that he hadn't gone too far.

He kept wallowing in her comfort and continued scratching her nape. Only after some time, Adam noticed that the conversation had come to a halt. He scratched his throat, hastily diverted his eyes now from Toni's lips, and looked at Piper who had her brow raised at them.

"So you were saying..." Piper hesitantly continued as she folded her arms.

The douche rolled his eyes and staggered backward. "I'm going to get a drink," he groaned.

He turned his back before Piper could even raise her hand to wave goodbye.

Adam scoffed, suppressing his grin. He's Adam Cole! BAYBAY!

And that boys and girls, that's UNDISPUTED!

end of chapter eighty-one

.₊̣̇.ෆ˟̑*̑˚̑*̑˟̑ෆ.₊̣̇.ෆ˟̑*̑˚̑*̑˟̑ෆ.₊̣̇.ෆ˟̑*̑˚̑*̑˟̑ෆ.₊̣̇.ෆ˟̑*̑˚̑*̑˟̑ෆ.₊̣̇

don't forget to vote and comment!
toodles! ♥