Chap. 8 ~ Protecting Aphmau

Ylva takes me to the same room Aphmau is waiting in. I walk in and then Ylva shuts the door and walks off. I look at Aphmau and see she is sitting in the corner of the room.

"Anna!" Aphmau screams when she sees me. I run over to her.

"Are you ok? Did anything happen to you?!? If anything happened I will kill whoever did it! Then Laurence would probably kill me afterwards..." I mumble the last part only loud enough for Aphmau to hear. Aphmau giggles. "M'lady... Promise me, that whatever happens... If you see Laurence, don't look at him what so ever."

"W-why?" She mutters.

"Because he loves you and... You love him back maybe as more than a guard but that doesn't matter nor is any of my business but still, if they find out about his love for you... Irene knows what will happen."

"Alright... I trust you." Aphmau says.

"Good because right now... I'm the only person here who can protect you and we both know that..."

"Hey! I can protect myself!" Aphmau states.

"I'm sure you can but I'd rather not be killed by an over-protective Lau- guard of your." I say trying not to say anything about Laurence aloud. I whisper to Aphmau, "Don't. Say. Anything about your life - not who you are or who you once were and especially not anything about the village."

Aphmau nods then Ylva walks back into the room.

"Alright ladies, you need to bathe then get into these dresses."

"Ew! No offence I just really hate dresses." I say.

"Too bad now get in the bath." Ylva says.

Aphmau looks at me for reassurance and I just shrug. We do as Ylva says and when we finish bathing she starts brushing Aphmau's hair while I get dressed into a beautiful white dress similar to the one in the corner for Aphmau.

"At least it's not pink." I say.

"You look beautiful." Ylva says.

I look at Aphmau and smile. She returns the gesture. When Ylva finished brushing and styling Aphmau's hair into a braided bun, she attempts to brush mine.

"Don't touch me." I snap.

Ylva rolls her eyes then hands me the brush. I start brushing my hair and style it into a side braid. "Ladies... Just know that if I could... I would let you and your friend go." Ylva says.

"Why?" Aphmau asks.

"Because... You don't deserve this and my husband has become crazy trying to find a Meif'wa suited to marry our son." Ylva says as she helps Aphmau with tying up her dress. "Alright... Time to head downstairs to be presented to my husband, he will either approve of you and you will marry my son or... You'll end up in the dungeon like your friend."

Ylva walks out of the room to go and get the guards to escort us.

"Lord Aphmau... I hope I get chosen." I state.

"W-what?? Why!?" Aphmau starts.

"It is the duty of a guard to protect their lords." I say.

"Huh? But I'm not a lord and I thought you didn't classify yourself apart of our village.

"M'lady... Consider this my oath to you. I will protect you with my life either until you find Laurence or if you allow me to... as one of your personal guards." I say.

"I'd love for you to be one of my guards Anna!" Aphmau hugs me.

"Thank you... M'lord." I say.

"Welcome to the Phoenix Alliance, Lady Anna." Aphmau says formally.