38

The Xia Empire originated from the plains and had a nomadic nature. This caused them to elevate women's social status, giving them the respect they deserved. This was completely different from the Tang and Song Empire. For thousands of years, there were plenty of female generals and officials in the Xia empire. Within the imperial harem, there were also many women that called the shots. They were relatively tolerant of the behavior between the genders. Therefore, within the back palace, other than the Emperor's concubines and princesses, there were many guards stationed there too. Many princes that had not assumed their respective thrones were living there as well.

At this very moment, at the Ying Ge yard inside the back palace, there was a young prince who sat among the sea of bamboo in black robes.

This young man was around 20 years old. He looked handsome with his eyes shining brightly like stars. He had a pointed nose and eyebrows that looked like swords. His jet-black hair lay on his back and was tied loosely together with a black ribbon. His black robes were elegantly embroidered with purple floral Kirin and auspicious clouds that traced the edge of his robes. It was made with cloth from the Song Empire, and his boots were made of deer leather. The bottom of them were engraved with pictures of Qing Yun. He was sitting leisurely in front of a little bluestone table, with the fragrance of incense wafting around him. A sparkling Guqin lay on the table before him with a few scrolls scattered by his side. There was a jade wine pot with a glass cup by its side. Dragons with pearls in their jaws were carved out of glass on both sides of the cup. It was definitely a treasure.

Although it was winter, the areas around Xuan Lang Mountain had warmed up as it was surrounded by hot springs. These hot springs had naturally created a warm sanctuary during the cold winter. When the wind blew, a fresh and cool breeze rustled through the bamboo grove, seeming carefree and content.

The young man's hands were as fair as white jade, and his fingers were slender. He slowly raised his glass cup to his lips, but he paused at that moment. His starry eyes squinted a little. Without looking, he said lightly, "Come out."

"Irritating." A delicate voice sounded instantly as a charming young girl came into view from within the bamboo forest behind him. "You manage to find me every single time, you are no fun!"

The girl was not even 19 years old. She was wearing a purple blouse with a long skirt, embroidered with white butterflies. Around her waist, she wore a light green belt with a lily hanging by her side. Her thick and beautiful hair was tied into a bun, and her fringe reached the tip of her ears. A blood red jade pendant hung between her eyebrows, and she wore an agate necklace and a pair of Ding Lan earrings. Although she looked noble, she did not seem crude. As the girl walked towards him, she took off her fur coat. In a crisp tone, she said, "My father dotes on you the most. I have just returned from Lan Shan court and it was freezing cold there. Look at the place you're in, the snow melted even before it touched the ground."

The young man turned to face her. He grinned calmly and said, "It's the emperor's great love."

"Hehe." The girl snorted. "Then why does he not show great love to me, I am his daughter after all."

"Princess."

"Why are you calling me princess again!" the girl shouted as she threw her coat at her servants while running towards him.

The young man smiled helplessly as he said, "Chun'er."

"Don't you think you can subdue me by doing that," said Princess Chun'er as she sat on the stool opposite him. Puffing up her cheeks angrily, she continued, "Tell me, why did you leave before the banquet ended? You caused me to leave all the guests behind in order to catch you here."