Chapter 17

Wei Shuye was livid, and the phlegm disgustingly stuck to his robe. However, he did not wipe it off but just sucked his teeth as he gazed upon the mess of corpses, and his eyes filled with hatred.

“Major General,” Jiang He sighed and walked forward and said in a deep voice, “our country does not have money to provide for these people. The elders will not sponsor the building of their quarters. You are the grandson of Wei, you need to respect your family’s wishes and protect your interests.”

Wei Shuye felt something hot pounding on his chest. His eyes were bloodshot and he was speechless. Jiang He frowned and signalled to his soldiers with a wave and a slight nod. The soldiers understood his command and instantly raised their knives to resume the killing.

“Bad guys!” a crisp voice rang. At the back of the crowd, a small face appeared from a mother’s embrace. There was no sign of tears but both eyes were red as he shouted, “Liar, you promised that you would bring us to the country to live in protected houses. You said that everyone wouldn’t have to worry about food or clothes, you said…”

An arrow instantly shot out. General Jiang He was very accurate and stopped the child’s speech as the arrow pierced through his mouth and blood spurted out from his head.

“Take action!” Jiang He withdrew his sabre as he commanded with rage.

“Stop!” The young Major General rushed towards the child and pushed away two soldiers in his path.

Jiang He raged, “Hold onto Major General!” The soldiers immediately rushed forward skilfully and held onto Wei Shuye tightly. The inhumane killing resumed and blood flowed everywhere, mixing in with the soil. The shrill of an eagle could be heard overhead, making this massacre even more frightening with the symbol of death circling above. A big hole was dug, and the few hundred corpses were thrown inside, with soil quickly added to fill it up. The soldiers rode their horses and repeatedly trampled over the ground. With the snow falling rapidly, the blood-stained ground was covered up, along with the heinous and ugly act of murder.

The handsome child of the illustrious family had lost his composure in front of his subordinates over a bunch of lowly peasants.

“Major General,” Jiang He walked forward and said after seeing him staring at the snowy ground, “you shouldn’t be like that. They are from a lowly race, with lowly blood flowing inside them. But you shouldn’t oppose orders because of that. Your uncle has high expectations of you. Without you, your brothers won’t have a leader. They are waiting for your return.”

Seeing no response from Wei Shuye, Jiang He sighed and retreated, galloping back with his team. They disappeared within a short moment.

The young man stood there for a long time as the snowstorm brewed. This lantern festival felt especially cold. The two children hiding behind the slope were shocked when the noble Major General of Wei Fa fell on his knees and kowtowed to the dead before climbing back onto his horse and galloping away.

After a while, the snowfall didn’t seem to be stopping. The child shifted her stiff, frozen feet and swayed forward.

“What are you doing?” Yan Xun was puzzled and stood up, stunned.

The child turned around with a calm expression, but her gaze was flickering. “I’m from a lowly race with lowly blood flowing inside me. You shouldn’t be standing next to me. Since we are treading a different path, let’s part early.”

Yan Xun stood at the back and stared longingly, thinking that she could tear open the degenerate world. The snow was fluffy and their footprints slowly became further apart as they headed into the heart of the Yan Empire.