Chapter 31

The night was mesmerising. The heavy clouds had dissipated and the moonlight was clear. Zhuge Yue put down his crossbow slowly, stood there for a long time watching the carriage from Sheng Jin Palace move farther and farther away.

This long night was finally about to end.

The sun had rose. The sunlight entered the room from the window located high up, revealing specks of dust floating about in mid-air. Soft screeching sounds could be heard in the background. One that did not pay attention would have thought that the sounds came from a rat wandering through the grass.

Chu Qiao leaned on a wall and closed her eyes, falling into slumber. However, behind her back, her hand moved ever so slightly, using a small stone to grind against the wall.

The sun rose and set quickly. The noise outside slowly subsided. The prosperous city was enveloped with darkness. The prison wardens patrolled the grounds twice and went to sleep, yawning. It was late into the night and the moon had risen high above the sky. With a thud, a big adobe landed in the grass.

"Yan Xun..." A weak voice sounded out slowly, appearing crisp in the dead silent prison cell.

Chu Qiao turned around and looked at the neighboring cell, spotting a young man dressed in white, leaning on the opposite wall. His legs were outstretched and he sat on the dirty, wilted grass, his eyes shut and seemingly in slumber.

"Yan Xun," Chu Qiao whispered cautiously.

The young man's eyelashes moved slightly. He opened his eyes and scanned the surroundings. He saw the child's clear eyes in front of him. Overwhelmed with joy, he crawled over to the hole, remarking, "Lass, you're so smart."

"Idiot!" Chu Qiao hissed, "Keep your voice down lest anyone hear you."

"Oh," Yan Xun mimicked her and scanned the surroundings. He turned around and laughed in a silly manner, revealing his sparkling white teeth. "Lass, don't be afraid. My father will send people to rescue us. These people will not dare to do anything to us."

"Mmm." Chu Qiao nodded bleakly, not answering him.

Yan Xun frowned. "Hey, don't you believe me?"

"I wouldn't dare." Chu Qiao stuck out her tongue, pouting. "Your father will rescue you. I don't have such capable relatives."

Yan Xun laughed. His eyes sparkled like the stars in the sky. "Don't worry. I won't abandon you. You can follow me in the future, I'll protect you."

A feeling of warmth enveloped her entire body. The eight-year-old child laughed and smiled brightly, nodding. "You've got to treat me to something good when we're out. I'm starving."

"No problem," Yan Xun promised. "You can eat anything you want. I'll grant any request that you make."

Unknowingly, heavy snow had started to fall outside. The snowflakes drifted into the cell from the window above, along with the cold wind. As Chu Qiao was about to open her mouth, she trembled and felt a shiver up her body. Yan Xun, seeing this, pressed his face against the hole. He started to get nervous when he saw that the child was dressed in thin layers of clothes, her face was pale and her lips had started to turn purple from the cold.

"Are you cold?"

"I'm fine."

"You're wearing so little. You must be freezing to death." Yan Xun suddenly got to his feet and removed the cloak that he was wearing. He squatted down and attempted to shove it through the hole. However, the cloak was too thick; even its sleeve could not pass through the hole. Chu Qiao pushed his cloak back towards him, saying, "Stop it. It would be terrible if they find out."