Chapter 15

As time slowly passed, the attendants outside curiously entered the room multiple times. Finally, Zhuge Yue pushed the go game board aside and stood up. The servant at his side immediately came forward and help him put on his deer leather boots. He wore a pale blue and dark flowered robe with a bright red overcoat made of fox fur. A child, who was not even thirteen years old, gave off an unexplainable maturity.

“Let’s go,” Zhuge Yue mumbled as he brought his entourage of servants out.

At the front of his compound, a herd of fine horses was waiting. Because of Zhuge Yue’s delay, the other masters of Zhuge residence had already left. One servant kneeled on the floor, and Zhuge Yue calmly walked forward and stepped on his back to climb onto the horse.

As he completed his preparation to move out, Zhuge Yue suddenly turned his head towards the servant standing at the front door and asked, “Xing Er, have you seen the lights during the lantern festival?”

Chu Qiao was taken aback and hurriedly shook her head.

Zhuge Yue nodded his head and said, “Come up here, I will bring you to see them.”

Chu Qiao was stunned for a while before she realized what Zhuge Yue was implying and hurriedly replied, “Young Master, I am not allowed to do that.”

Zhuge Yue frowned and was about to speak, but Chu Qiao instantly stood forward and said, “Xing Er can ride her own horse.”

Zhuge Yue was not convinced as he eyed Chu Qiao’s small stature. His suspicion was very obvious.

“Master, give a horse to Xing Er. Xing Er can ride the horse.”

Zhuge Yue gently smiled and nodded to his escort Zhu Cheng. In a while, a small claret horse was led out. Even though it was small, it was still much larger than Chu Qiao. Everyone’s gaze was on Chu Qiao. When they saw that she wasn’t taller than the horse’s leg, they chuckled.

The child circled the horse for two rounds and raised her hands straight up but could only touch the horse’s back. Zhuge Yue thought it was funny and was about to call someone to help her up, but the child just grabbed onto the horse and with a surge of strength, climbed onto it. Her action was very swift and precise.

The people standing around let out a gasp in surprise. Zhuge Yue turned and saw the child covered in snow, looking like a snowball, but still sitting straight and proudly on the horse. He couldn’t help but smile to himself before tapping the horse to leave.

Of course, Chu Qiao knew how to ride a horse. Even though this body was a little inconvenient, the good thing was that this horse was very tame. Once it saw the other horses leaving, it followed suit.

There was no curfew in the city, and as that day was the lantern festival, the streets were still crowded and lively. It was almost evening already as the skies had darkened. The streets were illuminated and the skies were filled with fireworks. A cool wind blew. Passing by the river bend, the beautiful lanterns illuminated the streets. The sides of the walkway were filled with dragon-shaped red lights and many tenements were converted to stages for performances. Dances, variety shows, dramas and music were everywhere. The lights and fireworks brightened up the night sky as hawkers lined the street soliciting customers, selling alcohol, tobacco, food, clothes, vegetables, fruits, furniture, flowers, and fireworks. Whatever the people wanted was available. The night sky seemed to be like a vibrant brocade with the world’s magnificence scrambled all over as everyone gathered together.

Chu Qiao sat on her horse as she looked around, soaking in the rare sight of the night scene in olden times.

Zhuge family was renowned and respected. Wherever they went, people would give way. They passed by an elegant building decorated with many unique and vibrant lanterns, such as adorable animals, celestial plants and flowers. The stall owner saw Zhuge Yue stopping, and immediately brought a big golden dragon lantern forward and started singing his praises.