Chapter 19

Yan Xun flew into a rage, gave Feng Mian a kick while on his horse, and shouted, “Idiot! I dare you to say that again!”

Feng Mian yelped twice in pain. He immediately turned around and ran towards the Zhuge residence. He did not dare to repeat those words again.

Yan Xun huffed in anger. He saw all his subordinates staring at him and hollered, “I do what I want!”

Everyone hurriedly looked away in their own direction and did not dare to look Yan Xun in the eye again. Each of them thought the same thing and sighed to themselves. After all, the prince was only thirteen years old. It was no big deal if he occasionally threw a childish tantrum.

By the time Chu Qiao reached the Zhuge residence, it was already late at night. Upon seeing Chu Qiao, the gatekeeper was slightly taken aback, as he recognized that this was the favored maid of Qing Shan court’s young master. Hence, he did not make things difficult and even gave her a lantern to light the way.

The Zhuge residence gave off an icy cold aura at night, and without the noise and liveliness of the daytime, the silence made the place feel like a pitch-black prison cage. Occasionally there were a few cries of some jackdaws, which were then promptly shot down by archers who had great precision. Any forms of noise was not tolerated while the masters were sound asleep; even animals could not be excused.

As Chu Qiao passed by the high walls of Lan Shan court, she heard a burst of suppressed cries. It was as if a female servant was hiding on the opposite side of the wall and crying, having erred and taken a beating.

Chu Qiao’s footsteps gradually came to a halt. The gigantic moon in the sky, pale and round, reflected her small shadow onto the red wall. Her shadow seemed thinner and longer, which reminded her of past times when she had a taller figure. She suddenly felt a tinge of sadness. Perhaps, she would snap out of her trance and realize that it was just a dream. If it was a dream, all of these things would not have happened. Those lifeless corpses, the fresh blood that flowed, and those tears of despair…

The cries of the child on the opposite side of the wall persisted. As she was too short, she could not scale the wall. How could she give warmth to others if she herself was cold? Just like those corpses that were buried underneath the snowy plains. Her despair did not help the situation.

Unexpectedly, she opened the front door of Qing Shan court. Chu Qiao was surprised. She had originally planned to spend the night in the firewood room; the fact that the courtyard’s gate was not locked stunned her. Zhuge Yue knew how to take care of his own health. When he was not attending lessons in the General Academy Hall, he would stay in the garden either busy with his flowers or enjoy some tea and burn some incense. He also highly valued sleep, unlike the other young masters, who were only preoccupied with lust, often throughout the night.

As she carefully stepped into the courtyard, the glow of a lantern started advancing towards her. Huan Er hurriedly grabbed Chu Qiao’s hand and whispered, “Finally! Where did you run off to just now? I’ve been waiting for you the entire night.”

Chu Qiao apologetically stuck out her tongue and replied, “My horse was scared away. I just came back. Where’s the young master? How come the gate isn’t locked?”

“You’re lucky.” Huan Er curled his lips and remarked with a smile, “Young master is in his study reading. He has been there all night and he has not told me to lock up. He hasn’t slept either, so I’ve been able to wait for you here.”

Chu Qiao nodded, walking towards Zhuge Yue’s room. Huan Er hurriedly stopped her and said, “The young master was not in a good mood when he came back. I do not know who ruffled his feathers. It’s late, let’s discuss things tomorrow. Anyway, the young masters did not ask you to go to Xuan hall. You go and take a rest, I’ll inform the young yaster on your behalf.”