Chapter 9

A voice suddenly sounded. Chu Qiao turned towards the crowd and saw a boy that served in a scholar’s study speaking loudly with an arrogant tone. Not far away, a teenager with a long and slender figure wearing a dark green robe stood before the court hall with his back facing the crowd. At his side, there were four followers.

Zhu Shun was stunned. Turning his head hurriedly, he pathetically bent down, well below his crotch. He nodded while he bowed and scraped, “Royal Highness Yan, my men were not well disciplined, causing them to make fools of themselves in front of your Royal Highness.”

“Is your servant’s discipline more important, or is my family’s royal highness more important? Zhu Shun, I think you must be crazy.”

Zhu Shun was taken aback. He got on his knees and started to kowtow, hurriedly saying, “I wouldn’t dare, I wouldn’t dare, I know I am wrong.”

The young attendant snorted, “If you know your mistake, what are you still doing here?”

After hearing that, Zhu Shun stood up at once, rushing towards Zhuge Huai’s study room. The servants in the household retreated to a corner. One of them said cautiously, “Can I invite Royal Highness Yan to wait in the hall?”

The teenager dressed in robes nodded and turned slowly, his jet black eyes sweeping through his surroundings. When he saw Chu Qiao, his eyes narrowed, as though he remembered a thing or two. He walked straight up to her.

Chu Qiao remained calm and cautiously took two steps back. When Yan Xun saw her retreat, he stopped and thought to himself for awhile. He took out a white porcelain bottle from the pocket in his sleeves. Pictures of delicate orchids were engraved onto it. The teenager reached out with the bottle in his hand and nodded, signalling for her to take the bottle.

Chu Qiao looked up and down at Yan Xun, and the scene at the hunting arena flashed by her eyes. She stood her ground with caution.

Yan Xun was puzzled. Immediately, his lips waned and let out a grin, bending down to place the bottle gently on the floor. After which, he turned and led his followers into the hall.

“Urgh.” A slight groan could be heard behind her. Xiao Qi barely made out Chu Qiao’s features. Her voice as soft as mosquitoes, with paramount fear, she cried, “Sister Yue Er, Xiao Qi… is Xiao Qi dying?”

Chu Qiao crouched down and placed the porcelain bottle in her hand. The muscles tightened throughout her body, and she looked gloomily towards the main house of the Zhuge household. She said slow and firmly, “Xiao Qi, I assure you, you will be okay.”

Carrying Xiao Qi, she ran back to the slave’s yard, rushing into the room and cleaning the wound before bandaging it. The medicine Yan Xun had given her was very effective. It could not only stop the bleeding, but also had a mild anaesthetic effect. Xiao Qi let out several hums before falling into a deep sleep.

Xiao Ba, who had been sick all this while, woke up and could barely get out of bed. These children were traumatised by all the recent incidents. No one spoke a word after they woke up, looking at Chu Qiao busily taking care of Xiao Qi with dazed looks like a bunch of fools.

It was getting late. Chu Qiao wiped the sweat off her forehead, the wound on her shoulder blazing in pain. She leaned against the wall, listening to Xiao Qi’s soft cries of pain in her sleep. It felt as if someone had tightly gripped her heart and yanked it out resolutely, throwing it onto the freezing snowy ground. Closing her eyes, Lin Xi appeared in her mind. The boy that was good looking and pure, the one that promised that he would protect her, the one that was beaten so viciously that he was unrecognizable.

A stream of tears flowed from her tightly shut eyes. They flowed down her chin, dripping onto her cloth shoes.

Suddenly, a frantic voice could be heard outside the door. In a moment of shock, Chu Qiao opened the door and walked out. A girl that was twelve to thirteen years old stood in the yard. When she saw Chu Qiao, it seemed as though she had seen her savior. She cried and rushed forward, “Yue Er, Zhi Xiang and the children from the Jing family were taken away by the men Butler Zhu sent.”