Chapter 2

It was 1:20 a.m., and Chu Qiao closed the door to the bathroom. She walked over to the sink to wash her hands.

The prison was dead silent, not a single noise was heard. At this time of the night, usually a person would be most exhausted. Even if a person was a special forces operative who had gone through rigorous training, their alertness and strength would be less than optimum. Chu Qiao looked calm. After washing her hands, she lifted the towel off the rack and dried her hands thoroughly. The loud swooshing of the toilet flush filled the cell as she placed her finger on her pulse, calculating the time silently.

10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4…

Time’s up. Chu Qiao turned her body calmly and walked towards her bed.

All of a sudden, a muffled bang sounded and large splashes of water exploded from the pipes. A dim glow from the explosion could be seen from the burst water pipe. Chu Qiao was not far from the burst pipe and was hit by a jet of water that knocked her onto the floor.

Outside the cell door, the prison guards were stunned. They could only see the burst water pipe within the cell and that the prisoner had been hit by the explosion. She could be dead or alive. With so much happening, the guards panicked and keyed in the access code to the cell. With a walkie-talkie in one hand and a submachine gun in the other, they rushed into the cell. However, the momentary burst of the pipes disrupted the radio transmission. During those five seconds, the main station could only hear indistinct rustling from an unidentified channel.

Opportunities cannot be missed, as they may not return. When the two prison guards ran into the cell to check for the cause of the burst pipe, Chu Qiao, who was originally unconscious, opened her bright eyes. All of a sudden, her body was as nimble as a cat asshe bounded out of the cell door. The prison guards were taken aback, but before they could cry for help, the doors slammed tightly shut.

Chu Qiao ignored the furious prison guards and sped into the surveillance room. She copied the footage recorded from an hour ago and quickly transferred it into a small DVD where she cut, edited, and deleted the footage. After that, she dragged a chair under the camera that was pointing at the cell and turned the DVD around. She then played the edited video for the DVD to record. She then went back into the surveillance room to sever the transmission signals of the walkie-talkie.

The timing was just right. After five seconds, the mini explosive device that was used to burst the pipe started to self-repair after the blast. Portions of the pipe that had leaks were quickly mended by a liquefied adhesive, which hardened rapidly. All this while, she had this mini device hidden in her hair. In the sealed cell, the furious screams and howls of the guards trapped within seemed like the buzzing of irritating insects, the sound unable to penetrate through the walls. The surveillance devices were back to normal. The footage that the main station was seeing was the footage from an hour ago, a female prisoner sitting quietly on her bed, while the two prison guards were doing their rounds. All seemed quiet and normal.

Her gaze was sharp and she checked her surroundings. It was all clear.

She went back into the surveillance room and opened the prison guards’ reserve box. Taking off her wet clothes, she changed into the uniform of the prison guards of the 4th prison. After putting on her cap, she picked up an AK74U and fitted it with a silencer. Placing the gun at her waist, she walked out of the room.

When the two prison guards had decided to open the prison cell, it had not been an uncalculated and rash decision.

The 4th prison was right next to the capital. With its geographical location secretive and remote, all prisoners that were detained here were repeat felons that were awaiting trial from the nation’s senior military court, and its importance could be inferred. The defense mechanism of every prison cell was impeccable. Every cell was independent of each other, the weapons provided to the guards were top of the line, they were highly surveillanced, and guards were sufficiently dispatched. Three special forces operatives were used to guard each cell, split between the inner and outer cell doors. Similar to the cell Chu Qiao was in, if one had the codes for the inner door, one could open them. As for the outer doors, one had to obtain the fingerprints of the last person who locked the door. Only then could it be unlocked.