Chapter 43: Lila

Michael slammed the door to his bedroom shut as he began to angrily pace back and forth in front of where Lila sat at the end of his bed.

"Michael," Lila finally dared to say after several minutes in silence watching him pace.

"You know why he's really here, don't you?" Michael asked, though it was clearly rhetorical as he didn't even look over or wait for Lila to respond. "It's because he doesn't trust me."

"That's not true. This time is just as difficult for him as it is for all of you. He probably just wanted to be with you both," Lila tried to reason, but he cut her off before she could continue any further.

"Why do you always defend him?" Michael accused. "You always take his side."

"No, I don't." Lila felt her stomach lurch at the accusation, and she took a long gulp.

It had been a difficult first semester of junior year for Michael and Lila. From the outside looking in, things probably seemed fairly normal, and that's because that was the way Lila wanted it to be perceived as. No one at school, as far as she knew, had any idea that the break she and Michael had taken the summer prior had even existed, and she wanted to keep it that way.

Lila wasn't a fool. The girls of Borne High could respect the fact that Michael was with Lila, but the first sign of weakness in their relationship would be nothing if not welcomed news to all who were single. Michael was one of the most desired boys at Borne High. And especially with how many girls Hunter had been attached to during his time there, Michael had also earned the title of the better of the two brothers. Hunter was a player who messed with girls' heads; Michael was committed and loving. If Lila was to lose him, she was certain he would have several options of girls to move on quickly with. And if that were the case, she would be nothing short of devastated.

She would fight for this relationship because it was what she wanted. Michael was her soulmate; she was convinced of it. Every relationship had rough patches. This was just theirs. If they both were willing, they could get through it together. Michael just needed her loyalty, that was all. He wasn't asking for much. Maybe she did always side with Hunter. Maybe she did it without even realizing it.

Hunter had come home for that weekend in February for the anniversary of Mrs. Cooper's passing. Lila hadn't read much into it. It made sense to her that Hunter would want to be home with family, but Michael believed there were hidden motives.

"Were you listening to the conversation at all?" Michael said, he ran a frustrated hand through his hair. "He said he came home to make sure things were "all good" here, with my dad. He didn't trust that I could look out for my own father on my own." He paced over to his bureau, kicking it, causing the baseball trophies and miscellaneous things on top to shake. "He treats me like I'm a fucking child. He's always treated me like I'm just the useless little brother."

"Why don't you tell him you feel that way?" Lila suggested. "Maybe he doesn't even realize that he's doing that."

"No," Michael scoffed, shaking his head. "It's not even worth it. Hunter loves to play the masochist. He loves feeling like he's on his own to fix problems that can't be solved."

Michael turned away from the bureau then, his mind clearly at work, thinking. He pulled out his phone. When Lila asked who he was calling, he didn't answer, just holding the phone up to his ear and motioning with his finger to give him a minute.

"Seth, change of plans, we're coming tonight. You still up to give us a ride?" Michael said once Seth picked up. He listened for a moment and moved the phone away from his mouth and looked to Lila. "Tell Zooey we're going to the party tonight. She ditched out on Seth once you told her we weren't planning on going."