Chapter four

The ride to school was forever. I could feel the gazes of the two boys sharing the same seat as me. I regret looking at them. Or giving them my name. I know I'm not beautiful and I know I am worthless. But that intoxicating voice soothed my soul for a split moment.  And before I could think clearly, I had already spoken up and looked directly at them.
They were probably repulsed.  With my sickly pale skin tone, and dull ratty hair. My eyes too big for my face. And my nose to small. They probably judge me for my clothes. Knowing they are second hand.
They probably seen what Mother talks about. The self worthlessness in my eyes. And the uselessness of my soul. They'd probably only want to use me. Destroy the only innocent part of my body that I have left. Then leave me to be lonely and more broken.
But I shake my head from all of my thoughts as I make my way off the bus.
I rush inside, and follow the crowd into a tightly packed cafeteria. Keeping my head down I walk out to the courtyard. Then I sit at an emtpy table. I tug off my bag and pull out my latest book about the krav maga techniques. I then begin memorizing the different combat moves made from Isreal.
I hear rustling around me as people begin to sit around my table. But my focus is solely on my book. So when a voice calls out from beside me I startle.
"Oy, Whats your name?"
I look at the person responsible for the voice and flinch away from the face directly next to mine. This guy had a slim build with dark hair and two streaks of blond on both sides. He had colorful piercings lining his ears and wore a bright orange shirt tucked neatly into his pants.
I jerk my head back down. Now only looking at the book in front of me. " Her name is Sang, Gabriel. I only just met her on the bus this morning." Kota replied in his calm commannding voice.
"I didn't fucking ask you Kota. I asked the beautiful girl herself. " there was a pause before this Gabriel spoke again.
" Whatcha reading there Sang?"
I shrug my shoulders before tilting the book cover over for him to see. He looks at the book then shares a look with someone before repeating the tiltle out loud.
"Why are you reading about krav maga?" A beautiful voice cooed. Looking to the owner I paused. I reconized him. A child prodigy of classical piano. Victor, I remember. He was more beautiful in person. With strong shoulders and narrow hips. Eyes that burned with the fire of emotions within. He played piano with talent I could only dream of. And here he was... sitting right in front of me.
I stuttered when I remember he spoke to me. "Because this i-i-is how I learn...?" I speak as a question. My face flaming in embarrassment.  I look away before the next voice of the red head, Nathan responds. "You can't learn to fight through reading about it. You have to practice the moves. Actually do them. Reading only tells you how it's done..."
  I only shrug my shoulders and begin reading. I wouldn't explain to them that I do practice the moves I learn. And I know I could actually use them in a fight if need to be. Let them assume I read only to read them.
   I feel glances bounce to me until the bell signals to get to class. I shove my book inside my bag and head to homeroom 135. The halls are crowded.  But with my size it is easy to slip between the people. So I make it to class as one of the first students and take a seat second from last on the wall closest to the door.
    I then, take out a notebook and pencil and wait for further instructions.
                             ● ● ●
A few minutes later after everyone has trickled in and taken seats the bell rings. The teacher then begins to call role, but is interrupted by two boys rushing into the room complaining about traffic. The taller of the two has on all black and a big build, with dark eyes to match. His whole demeanor screams to stay away or run. While the other one is the complete opposite.  He has a smile lighting up his face and has light blond hair framing around his chin. He sits in front of me as the darker one sits behind. I make sure to catch their names as role is called. Luke is the cheery one while the others name is North. They share the same last name so I assume they are step siblings since they look nothing alike.
   About five minutes into class the happy boy Luke turns around with a wide smile to ask if I have a hair tie. I shake my head no before digging into my bag to grab out two pencils.  I go to hand them to him and he looks at me with confusion.  I quietly explain how he could use them for his hair when he proceeds to turn around and tip his head back towards me.
    His movements made me almost smile. Knowing he wanted me to put his hair up, I then gather it all together and twist it into a bun. Then I poke the two pencils into the bun from two directions to keep the bun together.
Luke looks back at me with a smile saying thank you to me. My heart hammered in my chest at his compliments. I only smiled softly back to him.
The whole class period I could feel North's eyes on me.
                               ● ● ●

The bell rings for next class so I rush to leave the room. But just as I do I can feel a tug on my wrist. Instinctively I pull away with a flinch and look to see who it was.
Luke stood with a sad look in his eyes before shutting it away with a smile.
"What class do you have next? I may be able to walk with you there."
I weakly respond with AP English. And his eyes shine with excitement.
"Me too! With Ms. Johnson right!?"
I nod and he gently pulls me towards the trailers out behind the school. We make it inside trailer ten with about two minutes before bell and he sits behind me.
    I then pull out two notebooks and pencils. I noticed Luke didnt bring any supplies so I turned around and gave him one of each. "You can keep them. I noticed you didn't bring your own."
He beamed at me and nodded. I turn around right as Kota walks in and slides into the seat in front of me. Then Gabriel slides into the seat beside mine.
  They both give polite smiles to me, so i smile a little back. I flip to a blank page in the notbook and doodle in the corner of the page until the teacher addresses the class. "Today I want you all to write me a poem. Yes, I know it's first day of class. But I would like to see where everyones skills and writings align.  It must be at least a page and more than two or three word sentences please. You may begin"
Some students groan before pulling out papers.
I begin quickly. I loved to write. So I write a peice of my soul onto the page. Thirty minutes later I am finished so I pull out my book to try and finish my reading.
    "Theres no fucking way your already fucking done." Gabriel whispered to me. I look over and see he is a couple paragraphs into his own. I nod and show him my very much completed poem. He stares at it a few seconds with wide and disbelieving eyes before yanking it out of my hand.
    I blush when he starts reading. A few moments later I stare shocked as he looks up at me with tears in his eyes. I go to apologize but he nods his head and hands the page over. As my fingers go to grasp it, the page is gone.
   I stare dumbstruck at the missing paper, before turning around to see Luke with it. He reads it over and I watch as his happy expression turns solemn. He then looks to Gabriel. He hands it to him and I watch as Gabriel nudges Kota with the page held out.
   Kota then raises questioning eyes before gently taking my writing and scanning it over. When he turns to me he has a small frown marring his face.
"Sang, this is so beautiful.  Do you like to write?"
I nod my head and look between the three on suspicion. I don't know wheather to be pleased or mad. They liked my writing. But they didn't even ask before reading it...
   But then again, they called my work beautiful.  So I couldn't fault them. Instead I said thank you and took my paper back.