Chapter 7: A suprise, to be sure, but a welcome one

"GRYFFINDOR!" Yelled the hat.

The whole hall was silent. Never before had a (L/n) not been sorted into Slytherin, let alone put into Gryffindor. (Y/n) slowly stood up and made his way towards the Gryffindor table. As he walked passed the other tables he heard whispers.

"No (L/n) has ever been in Gryffindor" "The (L/n)s are a legacy family, how is this possible"

He got a smile for Harry and Ron as he passed them, ad Neville gave him a thumbs up. (Y/n) slid into a seat next to Hermione and the sorting continued.

"Why is everyone so surprised?" Asked Hermione "Cause everyone, literally everyone in my family has been put in Slytherin. This is unheard of." replied (Y/n). "Well I'm glad you're in Gryffindor" Hermione Said with a smile. (Y/n) wasn't quite sure why, but her smile made him feel better.

After the sorted ended Dumbledore gave a speech, something about the second floor, or was it the third floor, it didn't matter (Y/n) had a strange feeling that he'd end up there anyway. Then he said something about Mr. Filch, or was it Mr. Finch he was annoyed about a frisbee. "And as a reminder the Forbidden forest is out of bounds for everyone. Now then I think it is time for bed." finished Dumbledore.

As if on cue a redhead jumped up from the table and started to tell the new Gryffindors where to go. (Y/n) assumed that he was probably another Weasley. His dad had told them about the Weasleys. He always said that they were a kind family if a little odd. He took them to a large portrait of a lady. "Now then this is the entrance to the common room. You'll need a password to get in, if you forget it you'll have to find someone to let you in." At this Neville let out a groan. "Don't worry Nev, I'll always let you in." (Y/n) said with a thumbs up and wide grin. Neville smiled at this. "Caput Draconis" Said the redhead.

The portrait swung open to reveal a large cozy room full of chairs, tables and sofas and a large fireplace on one wall, with two staircases at the opposite end of the room. All the chairs had cushions of red embroidered with gold stitching. "This is brilliant" mutter (Y/n).

He was lead to his dormitory which he was sharing Harry, Ron, and Neville, which he was happy about. There were also two other boys in the dorm, they were Don Thomas and Seamus Flanagan, maybe (Y/n) wasn't that great at names. (Y/n) saw that his trunk was already next to one of beds. He changed into his pajamas and collapsed onto the bed, excited for his first day at Hogwarts.

For once (Y/n) woke up early, well not exactly woke up he had hardly slept the night before on account of his excitement. He got dressed quickly, and like usually messily, he left his robes unbuttoned and his tie loosely hung from his neck. The first class he had was Transfiguration with Professor McGonagall, which he had found out was the name of the professor who had greeted them the other day.

He went to the Great Hall and slid onto the bench next to Hermione. "Excited?" He asked trying to make small talk. "Oh I can't wait!" She blurted out. This made (Y/n) laugh slightly, he didn't know why but he enjoyed being with Hermione. He had only just met her but there was just something about her. "Wanna head over to classes?" Yawned (Y/n) as he stood up to go. Hermione jumped up and walked in front with (Y/n) tailing behind her.

They arrived to find the classroom empty except for a cat sitting on a desk. "Where's professor McGonagall?" Asked Hermione. "She's right there" Said (Y/n) pointing towards the desk. "Don't be silly (Y/n) that's just a cat" laughed Hermione. Suddenly the cat transformed into professor McGonagall. Hermione let out a little yelp of surprise and jumped back, (Y/n) chuckled at her reaction. "Very good Mr (L/n). Five points to Gryffindor." Said McGonagall. He beamed with pride. "Might I ask how you knew?" "Ummm" replied (Y/n) rubbing the back of his neck "Well you see professor I actually thought you were the desk, not the cat" Hermione let out a laugh professor McGonagall simply stared at him, but he could've sworn he saw her mouth twitch upwards slightly. "Well then since you two are here choose any seat you want."

Hermione and I sat down next to each other in the front row. "You actually thought she was the desk?" Giggled Hermione "Oh shut up I was close enough" this caused Hermione to start to laugh. He rolled his eyes and waited for the class to start. The class had been going for a while now and there was still no sign of either Harry or Ron. McGonagall has given them some work to do, had turned back into a cat, and was perched on top of the desk.

Just then the door burst open and in cane Ron and Harry. "Well it's good thing McGonagall wasn't here yet. Imagine how bad that would've been" said Ron relieved. McGonagall jumped of the desk and turned back. "That was bloody brilliant" said Ron taken by surprise. "Thank you Mr Weasley for that... profound comment. Now then since you two are late would you kindly take your seats, before I turn you into a clock. "We got lost professor" said Harry defensively. "Well then perhaps a map?" McGonagall said as she motioned with her hand for them to sit down. At this point (Y/n) help it and let out a little laugh. He quickly stopped and mouthed "sorry" to McGonagall who gave him a stern look and turned her back to them.

At the end of the class only (Y/n) and Hermione had managed turn their matchsticks into needles, granted (Y/n)'s still burst into flames but other that it was a pretty good needle.

The next morning he was once again sitting at the Gryffindor table next to Hermione. "What've we got today Hermione?" He asked "Looks like we've got double potions and then flying after that" "Eh should be a fun day then, hey what's Seamus doing" he asked Ron. "He's trying to turn his water into rum. He actually managed a week tea the other da-" his words were cut short by a boom as Seamus's goblet blew up in his face. (Y/n), Ron and Harry all let out a laugh at this. After breakfast (Y/n) walked with Hermione down to the dungeons for their first potions class.