Ch 21

Rin pov

I wake up and I shiver. Going to sleep in this room was a bad idea. I get up. My everything is freezing! I look outside... of course. It's snowing. I go to my closet and I get the warmest outfit I can find and I put it on. I had to leave a lot of clothes here so thankful I have a lot of options. Once dressed I go to the kitchen and I start making breakfast. Between moving around and the fire of the stove I quickly warm up. The churchmen walk into the dining room and they get the table set and ready. Once I finish the food I get help bringing it out. Izumi says the prayer and we begin eating.

"So how did you sleep Rin?" Maruta asks. 

"Alright, although it was freezing when I woke up," I reply. 

"Oh yeah the heater is broken," Nagatomo replies. 

"I can try to fix it. I don't really have anything else to do," I reply. 

"You don't have to," Kyodo replies. 

"I know but I want to. Besides, It shouldn't be too hard," I reply. 

They nod. I finish breakfast and I clean my plate. Then I set it on the drying rack. They start to clean their plates but I take over. 

"Rin you really don't have to do this you know," Izumi sighs. 

"I know but consider it me paying you back for being a troublesome child and for me staying here rent-free," I reply. 

Izumi sighs and leaves me to do my thing. Once the dishes are clean I go to the heater. I open the hatch and I look at the wires. Everything is connected. I turn the heat nob and nothing happens. The spark cable is missing. That explains it. I go find Izumi. 

"So the spark cable is missing?"

"Well that is centrally a problem," Izumi says. 

"Isn't there a wood furnace outside?"

"Well yes, but the fire never starts." 

 "Do you have firewood?"

Izumi nods. 

"Then no problem."

"Wait how are you going to start the fire?" Izumi question. 

I look at him. Then I draw out my flames. Izumi is shocked. Then he remembers. 

"Oh yeah... I forgot you had that," Izumi replies.

I put my flames away, then I laugh and I walk outside. I shiver. I can see my breath. Well, no matter. A snowflake falls on my nose. I shiver. I wrap my tail around my waist and it warms up. I flip my hood up. I put some wood in the furnace. Then I focus on my hand and my flames ignite but only around my hand. I place it in the furnace and I light the logs on the fire. 

I close the furnace door. I walk inside and the churchmen start clapping. I am met with a blast of warm air. It feels wonderful.

"Rin did it! He blessed us with heat!" Kyodo cheered. 

"It's about time," Misumi says. 

"Misumi!" I say happily. I run and I hug him. 

"So I go out on a mission for a week and Rin comes back... and no one tells me?" Misumi asks. 

"Well Rin only arrived yesterday," Maruta replies. The church shakes and I steady myself. 

"What was that?" I ask. 

Izumi sighs and everyone gets their exorcism equipment. "Ever since Shiro died demons have been attacking left and right," Kyodo says. 

This frustrates me beyond belief. I came here to get away from demons not deal with them.

I run to my room and I get my sword. Then I enter the main room. Everyone is already getting prepared to attack. Then the rumbling suddenly stops. A salamander crawls in thrashing around and growling. I walk over and kneel down. The poor thing looked to be hurt. As I get closer the more violent the flames around the salamander. I place a hand on the top of its head and it calms down.

I pet it and it calms down. Then a group of Koks crawls their way and the Salamander gets upset. I bear my fangs and I growl at the Koks. They are taken aback by this and I start to speak. 

"What is going on here?" I hiss. 

"That Salamander got on our territory we were simply defending what was ours," The Koks replies. 

"So this monastery is your territory?" I ask. 

"Well no," One of the Koks replies.

"Then leave," I growl. 

They bow their heads in shame. "Yes, your highness." 

They scurried off into the night. I look down at the Salamander. 

"I will allow you safe passage through this monastery on the condition that you don't come here again."

"Thank you Younge prince," the Salamander says bowing its head and exiting through the back door.

The churchmen are stunned. 

"What?"

"Rin did you know what you were doing?" Misumi asks. 

"I told them to leave," I reply with confusion.  

"You spoke the language of demons Rin. You spoke to them in their own tongue and they left" Kyodo explains

"What did you tell them?" Nagatomo asks. 

"I had them explain themselves and then I told them to leave because they weren't on their territory."

They are still stunned. 

"And they respected you and left," Izumi adds.

"Yes," I reply unsure if they have a point. 

"Rin the only other demons capable of what you just did are demon kings. and sometimes the demon doesn't listen to them," Kyodo replies. Then there is more rumbling. 

"What now?" I ask frustrated. 

A Naberius breaks through the door. I ignite my flames and throw them at the Naberius before it can even get close to me. I hear more growls from outside. 

I have had enough of this. I go outside and I unsheathed my sword. 

"Leaves now, never come back and I will spare your lives," I snarl. The ghouls are shocked at my appearance. A few leaves. 

"But young prince," One studders trying to debate. 

"Was I not clear? Leave the monastery alone forever and you get to live," I growl. 

There are getting on my nerves. A large portion of the demons stay. One launches itself at me and I quickly slice through them. The others grow fearful of me and leave.

I sigh and I put my sword back in the case. I go inside and I enjoy the warmth once more. The churchmen clap. I smile. "

The same Rin... although changed for the better," Misumi say happily.