Ch 18

Rin pov

"We didn't move a thing in your room... Well I mean Yukio might have moved something around when he came here during the break," Maruta explains. 

I nod. I go into my old room and I look around. It's nearly identical to how I left it. The bed is still unmade and roughed up from when I woke up that last day at the church. Before Shiro died. the only thing that is different is that the blinds are open...

Actually, I think I left those open that day... So everything is still the exact same. There is a layer of dust over the chest. I wipe the dust off and I open the chest. There are a few pairs of my old clothes, books... and an old picture of Shiro Yukio and me. It's from the day we graduated from fifth grade. I smile when I look at the picture.

I get swept away in the memory.

"why do we have to take this picture?" I ask. 

The uniform was so uncomfortable in the heat. 

"It's a timestamp. We will take another picture like this when we graduate from junior high and then one when we graduate from high school. Then one for when we graduate college," Yukio explains. 

"know it all," I groan. 

"Rin stop whining. and Yukio... stop being a nerd," Shiro says jokingly. 

I scoff. 

"Now look happy," Shiro says with a smile.

 "Fine," I groan. 

"Smile!" The churchmen say from behind the camera. we all smile.

I brush a thumb over the portrait... I wonder where I put the one we took after junior high. I put the picture on my bed. I look everywhere. Then I look under my bed. I grab the picture frame. It's cracked... But the picture is unharmed. I remember the distant laughter from that day.

Shiro was so proud and excited. I pick up both pictures and I put them on the windowsill next to each other. Shiro stayed the exact same... it was us who changed... I should go to see him. I remember how our last conversation went... The last thing I said to him was that I hated him... The last thing he said was that he loved me. I was such a brat back then. Shiro sacrificed so much for us.

His title, his bonds, his respect, his life. and I took advantage of him. I get up and I walk out of my room. I walk to Izumi. "Hey, I am going to go visit Shiro. I will be back soon," I say. "ok," he replies with a nod and a smile. I walk to the cemetery. it is only a few meters away from the church.

I find Shiro and I sit down. the sun is a few hours away from the setting. I place a hand on his gravestone. 

"I miss you," I say softly. I lay down on his grave. "I'm sorry for not being a good kid... and I'm sorry for how things ended. I don't hate you. I miss you. I wish you were here. You would be able to help me," I sigh.

Then I start having a conversation with him... well the him that I remember. "Well, what is your problem kid?" Shiro asks from my mind.

"Being a Neko is not at all what I wanted or expected. Mephisto and Mr. Abe talked it up but it is a curse. Everyone always thinks they know better than me. That I am just some fragile piece of glass they have to take care of. I can take care of myself. Even when you were around I still fought for myself. Whether it was in an argument or a street fight. I was able to hold my own. Then I was revealed to be a Neko and everyone became overprotective. They just ignored my feeling. What I wanted. What I felt." I reply. "It was like they only cared about me being a Neko. Not that I was Rin. They didn't like me for my personality but for my breed." 

"You are still going be the same Rin regardless of your breed," Yukio adds. 

I turn onto my side, getting a better view of my brother. Yukio is smiling, he walked over and sat down next to me. 

"How did you find me?" I ask. 

"Mephisto got panicked when you left the mansion so he called me and told me to find you and bring you back... I just had a feeling that you were going to be here," Yukio replies.

"I am not going back," I reply. 

"And I am not going to bring you back. You left for a reason and that reason is a good one. People shouldn't like you for being a Neko. they should like you for you," Yukio replies. 

I smile. Of course, Yukio understands. 

"I also have a feeling you came to him for advice."  

"Know it all," I say with a smile.

"I have done it many times myself. and I gotta tell you. it works. Even though we can't talk in person we can still communicate through the memories we share." 

I feel close to crying. Yukio hugs me. 

"It's just... I ended it wrong. The last thing I told him was I hated him... and then he died... he died saying he loved me and I never said it back," I whine trembling.

"You couldn't have known Rin. You have no way of knowing he was going to be possessed and you were justified for being angry we hid so much from you. we lied to you for years," Yukio replies. I hug back. 

"I could never hate you... I won't hate you. I hated Shiro and he died. I love you and you are staying," I hiss. Yukio smiles.

"It's getting closer to dinner we should start heading back," Yukio adds. 

"ok. I am making dinner and you can't stop me," I reply. 

"Stop you? Never. I can't prepare a meal like you can for my life... although can I help?" Yukio asks.

"Of course, you can cut the onion," I reply. 

Yukio smiles even though he hates cutting the onion.

"So what are we going to do about Mephisto?" I ask. 

"Well I can talk with the other teacher and I can explain that you just need a break from the school environment and I can bring your schoolwork to you. and when you have finished it I can give it to the teachers for you," Yukio explains as it's my turn to smile.

"So what are you going to tell Mephisto?"

"to go screw himself and that you are Rin and will do whatever you want," Yukio replies. 

"That is an unholy word Yukio! and in front of a priest nonetheless," I gasp.

"he's dead and I'm sure he doesn't mind," Yukio replies. 

"Yukio! Apologize to dad" I say jokingly. 

"Fine. Sorry dad," Yukio laughs.

We get up and start laughing. 

"We are messed up," I sigh. 

"not as much as Bon's hair," Yukio replies. 

I start laughing again. we walk home and we talk the entire way. We enter the church and go to the kitchen. I pull out an onion, knife, and cutting board. Yukio looks at me then at the onion then back at me. 

"get to it," I say. 

"You can't be serious," Yukio replies. 

"If I can't get out of school work you can't get out of this," I reply while tieing my apron around my waist.

"fine," Yukio sighed. 

"Don't be such a downer," I reply. 

"You are mean," Yukio whines. I wash my hands and I flick water at Yukio 

"Satan spawn," Yukio growls as he grabs the onion. 

"Jokes on you we are twins," I reply.