End of the Summer

It was freetime after dinner.

"Hey." Keith said, gently rocking Lance's hammock that was strung up on the porch of the cabin.

"Hey." Lance said, setting down a book. "What are you up to?"

Keith shrugged. "Just wondering if you wanna take the boys to the bog one last time before ending campfire next week. This is my last free period."

Lance sat up and slipped out of the hammock and slipped his feet into his Vans. He put a hand on Keith's cheek and kissed him deeply before putting his forehead against his boyfriend's. He stood up and grinned. 

"I'll get the kids."

"See you at the yurt in 15?" Keith asked, turning around to walk backwards.

"10!" Lance yelled back. He watched Keith jog off. Lance blew the whistle around his neck. "Shape packs!" He announced. Kids in the common area stopped their game of soccer and campers in cabins looked out their window. "Who wants to jump in the bog?!"

The campers looked at eachother and smiled. The boys outside rushed into the cabin to change into clothes that they could get dirty and put on shoes.

"I'm staying back with the other kids." Seth said. He pointed at Matt. "Matt's staying back, too."

"Sounds good." Lance said, tightening his belt on his khaki shorts.

The kids waited outside of the yurt where Hannah and Pidge caught up and Lance helped his boys ducttape their shoes onto their ankles so the mud wouldn't vaccuum-suck the shoes off of their feet. (Many shoes were eaten by the bog).

"Hey." Keith grinned. Lance kissed his cheek in an unsubtle PDA.

Lance looked down at his feet. "This is so going to rip out my leg hair." He laughed.

"I'll be fine. I've barely started puberty."

Keith looked down at Lance's camper, Charlie, who kept losing teeth that summer. Charlie shrugged and then just fucked off.

"Okay..." Lance reacted. Keith laughed.

They made their way to the bog. Pidge and Hannah took up the back of the campers to make sure that they didn't somehow just disappear or die or some shit.

"Who want's to go in first?" Keith asked, rubbing the bracelet that Lance made him last summer.

The kids jumped into the mud and began covering their counselors in thick silt. Hannah was sitting on a rock with just their mid-shins in the mud.

Pidge sneeked up behind her with a handful of mud and slapped it mercilessly onto Hannah's back.

"Pidge! What-" They started as Pidge pushed them in. Pidge laughed and jumped off of Hannah's rock into the frey.

One of the campers threw a handful of mud which ended up hitting Pidge. She grinned and sunk down into the mud. "Thank Christ I'm not wearing a bra."

"That would be an expensive mistake." Hannah smiled, taking a heavy scoop of mud and throwing it at Pidge.

Lance had three campers trying to get mud on his head and he dunked two of them in the mud. "Eat dirt!" He laughed.

The sun looked like it would set soon so they called the campers out and they sang camp songs at the top of their lungs all the way to the lake where Hunk was fishing. He pulled his line up so he couldn't possibly hook a kid- that would be bad.

"Hannah!" Hunk laughed. "Never took you as a bog kind of human."

"Pidge helped." They frowned. Hannah stood in the the water up to their waist and Pidge wrapped her arms around her waist.

Lance was picking kids up and dunking them in the lake. Keith was splashing lake water at the campers and laughing.

They pushed off the feeling that the end was coming. Tomorrow. Was the closing campfire.