Meet Your Campers

It was finally Monday. They had all completed their CPR class and training week and now was the moment of truth.

The buses pulled in. All of the counselors waved and then sorted each camper with a name tag and wristband. Lance held up a sign with a diamond on it. It was an assortment of 10, 11, and 12 year old kids. When everyone was sorted, they brought the kids to the main lodge and had them sit in their groups.

Allura walked up to the front, fireplace unlit, behind her. "Welcome to Camp!" She shouted. The kids cheered. "We are so glad that you're here!" Allura briefed them on the rules of camp quickly and then Shiro announced that the dining hall was ready.

The kids dismissed in groups and made their way to the dining hall and sat with their counselors. Because there were so many of the shape packs, they occupied 3 tables. Keith sat at one and Lance sat at the other. Pidge occupied the third.

"This is kind of like The Last Supper painting by Leonardo da Vinci." One kid noted. His name was Josh.

"I guess." Lance shrugged.

"Well you or the mullet kid might die then." He said, deadpan.

Lance laughed. "Ok."

The kid shrugged and went on to eat his hot dog. Matt's table was beside them. He was laughing with his kid. They went quiet and then all grinned. A camp tradition was about to happen:

"WE ARE TABLE NUMBER ONE, NUMBER ONE, WE ARE TABLE NUMBER ONE, WHERE IS TWO?"

Lance and Keith knew that their tables were new to camp and they might not get it but Lance's table caught on. Keith table stood up first but Lance's table shouted first.

"WE ARE TABLE NUMBER TWO, NUMBER TWO, WE ARE TABLE NUMBER TWO, WHERE IS THREE?"

Keith's table was standing, pounding fists on the table.

"LANCE'S TABLE'S FULL OF CHEATERS, FULL OF CHEATERS, LANCE'S CABIN IS FULL OF CHEATERS, WE WERE TWO!"

The dining hall laughed. Lance stuck his tongue out at Lance. They continued eating. There was a bowl of fruit on the table. Lance wanted to encourage the kids to eat healthy so he drank a cup of water and grabbed an apple, hoping the kids would see him and do the same.

A couple of kids grabbed oranges, bananas, and apples. Within a minute, the table got loud and rowdy. Lance looked to see what was happening and down at the end of the table, a kid was sticking a bloody napkin into his mouth.

Lance stood up. "What's wrong," He looked at the name tag, "Charlie?"

The kid held up the apple and took the napkin out of his mouth. "I bit into the apple and lost my front tooth."

"Ew." Lance said. The table laughed. He smiled. "Why don't I take you to the nurses station and he can look at it and maybe put the tooth in a bag?"

The kid shrugged. "I'll just keep it in my pocket."

Ew. Lance thought. Imagine just having a tooth in your pocket. "Well don't forget about it."

The kid laughed. "Okay."

When lunch was over, the kid's bags were already off-loaded by Hunk. They looked for their stuff and then made their way into the cabins.

"No way!" The 'last supper' kid, Josh, shouted. "We have bunk beds!"

Lance smiled. "Yep. And I built them."

"But you have lady hands." One of the kids said.

Lance looked down at his hands. "Totally not."

The loose tooth kid, Charlie, looked at his hands. "Giant lady hands?"

"What?" Keith asked.

Charlie shrugged. "If you were a lady those hands would be giant."

"I'm not a lady!" Lance shouted.

Everyone in the cabin laughed.

Lance was smart. He needed to know the kid's names so when they got situated in their beds, Lance handed out index cards, duct tape, and markers to make 'bunk tags'. That way, he could learn everyone's names faster.

Keith came in to check on Lance. "Everything okay in here?"

Several children were swinging upside-down in the bottom bunks and kids in the upper bunks were leaning out dangerously far. One kid fell out.

Lance looked at the bunk tag. "Are you okay, uh, Peter."

The kid smiled. "I'm going to fall off my bed AGAIN!" He shouted, enthusiastically.

Keith picked him up under the arms and lifted him back up onto the bunk. "Okay, buddy. Maybe when Lance isn't paying attention."

"Hey!" Lance shouted. 

The kids laughed.