13 Damn Bunk Beds

The presentation and general rules went by okay. Since Lance and Keith were no longer counselors-in-training, they could keep their phones as long as they didn't pull them out around campers.

"Lance is in Diamond." Allura read out. She read out the other names of counselors and CIT's. Lance sat there, bummed out. Great. He was with the babies. The shapes were the 6th graders, colors were the seventh graders, and numbers were the eighth graders.

Matt came and sat down. "What's up? You're moping."

"Yeah." Lance admitted. "I'm stuck alone with the runts."

"Not necessarily." He said.

"What?"

"I'm taking Circle Pack."

"Really?" Lance asked.

"And luckily for you there are enough campers to cram into two sections. There are 50 so we'll each take 25 instead of 18. It's a good thing we're short-staffed."

"That's great but where are we going to put them?"

Matt smiled. "Bunk beds."

"Seriously?"

"Yep and you and Keith are setting them up before the campers arrive tomorrow."

"No fucking way- I'm not doing that!"

Allura came over, holding her clipboard. "No. You and Keith are doing it."

"Why us?"

"Because."

"Because why?"

"Because because."

"Fine."

They all had lunch at the dining hall, also known as the mess hall and Lance was in an emotional mess.

"How in the hell are we supposed to put together 26 bunk beds?!" Lance asked Keith. He shrugged, drinking lemonade from a plastic cup.

"I guess we'll decide a logical system."

"Hello?!" Lance shouted. "In all the time we've dated have I ever been LOGICAL?!"

Keith laughed, taking a bite and talking with his mouth full. "We'll figure it out."

"Don't sweat it." Matt said. "Hunk and I are putting our 13 together."

"13's a bad number." Lance muttered.

"Well I have good news." Matt added.

"What?"

"Star cabin is staff housing so..."

"I'm staying in Star cabin?!" Keith asked.

"Yep." Pidge said, sitting down and beginning to devour a black bean burger.

When they arrived at the shape cabins, four large boxes sat outside of the cabins. Keith flipped out a knife and opened them with Lance as Matt and Hunk opened their set. Pidge came over with a banana.

"Pidge! I'm so glad you're here! Can you grab the box of bolts and wingnuts?"

Pidge took a bit of her banana. "Nope."

"Seriously?!" Keith and Lance shouted.

Pidge laughed. "I have to set up bunks for Number cabins. I'm just looking to see how you guys are doing it."

"Not fucking well." Keith muttered.

"Here." Lance said, standing a post up. We attach the bed frames to the vertical beams in and then put the bolts in. Pidge watched them build their first set.

"Great." Lance breathed. "Now we just put it inside and..." He looked at the small door frame. "Quiznak."

Pidge laughed. "K cool. I'll see you later." She and her banana peel walked away. "Oh and just BT-dubs, Hunk and I are staying with you in Star."

Keith frowned. "Looks like there won't be much 'alone time.'"

Lance shrugged. "We'll make it work."

With three hours of work, the frames were up and sturdy, placed against the cabin walls. They finally slipped a plastic mattress onto each bed frame.

"There." Keith breathed. "We're done. We have an hour until dinner. What do you want to do?"

Lance smiled. "I don't know- take a walk?"

"Yes." Keith agreed, taking Lance's hand. "You know, I love you but sometimes you bother me."

"I know."