𝐅𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐲-𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫

54 | Z A C K

When I was a little over seven years old, I fell off my bicycle during a rough play and fractured my leg. I was unable to move and everything was unbearable I cried all day. The pain it inflicted was tolerable than what I'm feeling right now.

It felt like I had being stabbed several times in my chest. The pain goes mercilessly beyond the power of feelings. It was an unrelenting, excruciating and debilitating that I never thought I'll go through. The pain and guilt poked at my brain and played with my mind. He whispered bitter words inside my ears and bit at my tongue. He climbed up my spine, crushing my bones with his unbearable, unbeatable strength, demanding to be felt.

And there was the fear. The fear of loosing two of the most important people to me. It gripped my heart in an agonizing hold and made me breathless. It's deep and warm as it throbs in my head but not in a nice way. I tried to take a deep,calm breath but it just wouldn't go away. My chest ached as I thought of what I might loose. As I close my eyes, the image of the sonogram of my baby girl popped in my head. The sound of her heartbeat is like a music to me. And the beautiful, generous smile plastered on her mother's face. The exquisiteness of those beautiful moments. I was also happy...

One minute, she was standing before me looking beautiful as the breeze blow her hair. The next, she was falling lifelessly on my body. I've never panicked like I did at that moment. I was shaking her trying to wake her up. I started calling for help before most of them gather. It wasn't just because of her unconscious but the blood staining her jeans.

"Oh Zack!" I heard Mom said as she approached me. I stood up and hugged her, suddenly needing the comfort of someone. She patted me on the back, groaning sadly.

"How's she?" Dad calmly asked with his hand on my shoulders trying to console me. Peyton, Maya and I brought Daisy to the hospital even though the others wanted to come. I sent Maya home to inform my parents and try to contact Daisy's parents since Peyton tried calling with Daisy's phone but no one picked up.

I shrugged. "It's being almost an hour but the doctors haven't come out." It's midnight which could also explain why Daisy's parents didn't pick up.

Mom pecked me on the cheek and stared with my eyes with a hopeful look. "Everything's going to be alright. I'm sure Daisy and the baby will survive."

"You guys tried calling Daisy's parents? We tried numerous times but they didn't pick up. Probably sleeping." Dad brought out his phone and proceeded to check whether they called. I shook my head in response.

With a phone placed on her ear, Peyton arrived. "I promise to keep you updated. Yeah. I promise. I just want to know if she's going to be okay. Alright, love you, Mom." She hung up and put the phone in her back pocket. She smiled when she saw my parents.

"Hey. I'm Peyton, Daisy's friend." Peyton introduced herself amicably. My parents smiled and they greeted each other.

"Honey, I thought Daisy has a younger sister. Do you have her phone number because we can't quite reach her parents." Mom kindly recommended.

Peyton glanced at me before putting on a melancholic face. We both know that there's no way Daisy has Jenna's phone number saved in a phone. It would be a cold day in hell before it happens. "Unfortunately, no. I mean, Daisy and Jenna are always together so they don't have to call each other. That's what Daisy thought." She excellently lied.

Dad sighed in defeat. "But how do we inform them? They deserve to know."

"Don't worry about that, Mr Hudson. I called Daisy's brother, Cole and informed him. He's on his way back from Detroit." Peyton announced.

"Brother?" My parents asked in union. "We didn't even know she has a brother living in Detroit." Mom said just in time the door to the emergency room opened.

Tiffany and a nurse got out of the room. The nurse left while Tiffany stopped to talk to us. She has a stern look marred on her face but softened when she saw my parents. Dad and her recognised each other and shook. Dad introduced her to Mom and they greeted each other. I guess they knew each other since they are both doctors.

She sighed and glared between Peyton and me. "It seems like all underage teenagers do these days is to abuse drugs and party hard." She fixed her assessing eyes on me. "Zack, you got Daisy pregnant while you were drunk. And now, She's going to loose her baby because of the same reason. The baby might be okay but I'm very disappointed in you guys."

I gave her puzzling look, having no idea what she was implying. There was neither drug nor alcohol at the party. Heck, even at Korbin's party, there was no alcohol. A few classmates snuck it in and forced us to taste alcohol for the first time. It just got out of hand.

"What do you mean drug? I thought Shawn's party was just a small gathering for the celebration of winning the game?" Dad said, glowering at me. Mom had the same look pinned on her face.

"Of course not." Peyton argued. "I swear there were neither alcohol nor drugs." I'm glad she was able to talk on my behalf.

Tiffany folded her arms and raised a brow in a questioning look. "Really? I guess you'll have to come up with better lie. At a closer examination, I found an elevated amount of a drug, namely amphetamine in her system. It looked like it has been prescribed to someone else and Daisy consumed the whole sachet."

I was shook to the core. "What? But she didn't take any drug apart from the drinks at the party."

Mom grabbed my arm and pulled me to look into her eyes. "Tell me the truth, Zack. What happened? You know the doctor can also test you to make sure you didn't consume any drug, right?"

"I'm not scared because I'm damn sure I didn't." I can't believe my Mom would do this to me. She raised me and knew my character like the back of her hand.

"What about the baby?" Dad asked, completely ignoring what was happening.

"Like I said, the baby is okay. Amphetamine doesn't affect the foetus because it's a stimulant for treatment of disorders like attention deficit disorder. But when a pregnant woman consumed too much, it can be very risky. That's why I'm surprised nothing happened to Daisy except the bleeding." Tiffany explained and I sighed in relief.

"But that's not just the case. I found out that the drug has expired a long time ago which may or not be what saved the baby. Expired medical products can be less effective or dangerous due to a change in chemical composition or decrease in strength. Certain expired medications are at risk of bacterial growth and sub potent antibiotics can fail to treat infections which could lead to serious illnesses and in this case, a miscarriage and severe bleeding."

My heart was pounding in my chest as I listened to the doctor. Fear was all I was feeling as it gripped my heart I almost couldn't breath. A surge of pain shot through my lower abdomen at the thought of the possibility of loosing Daisy and our baby.

"We'll have to wait til the morning to see if there's any reaction. The bleeding is likely from the effect of the drug but the baby seems okay. The heartbeat sounds normal. Daisy needs some rest at the moment. But I have to warn you, there's a very high probability that she can loose the baby when the drug takes effect. Daisy could be in the phase of an incomplete miscarriage."

Expect the unexpected🌪
(Sorry for all the errors and rushed descriptions)

Sorry guys, for not updating on time. This online classes is difficult and I'm having hard time keeping up with the updating scheme.

But don't worry. I'm almost done writing the ending of this book. They're drafted and I'll make sure to update everyday until the final chapter.

I also have good news for you!! The bad girl and me won first place in the adore you awards - general fiction❤ I'm so happy and proud of this achievement, thanks to the amazing host and incredible judge.

Thank you for all your love and support. Hope you enjoy the chapter. Don't forget to vote if you like it, comment your opinions and share to support me.