𝗻𝗶𝗻𝗲

BROOKLYN sat in the conference room dreading what was to come, as today was another 'Women in the Workplace' meeting with Jan. Now, Brooklyn was just as progressive, if not more, than the next woman, but that didn't mean she wanted to sit in a day long meeting filled with useless updates on sports slang, face value statements about equality, and empty promises of said equality.

   All the women collected around the table with cups of whatever in front of as Jan started.

   "So, I'm happy to be here, it's very nice to see all of you." She cheerfully spoke, Brooklyn couldn't tell if it was her trained corporate tone or if it was genuine happiness. "You're all looking well." Brooklyn tuned out the rest of her introduction as she eyed the door, looking past Michael pacing around it, silently hoping that phone on her desk would ring. This was one of the many times she was thankful for her position, as it wouldn't look weird or seem unnecessary for her to jump up and answer the phone any time it rang.

"Women today, though we have the same options as men, we often face a very different set of obstacles in getting there so-" Jan was interrupted by Michael, who knocked on the door and entered before he could even be acknowledged.

"Hey, what's going on?"

"Michael." Jan sighed.

"You know what? I thought about it, I just have a few things I wanted to say." Jan's protests fell on deaf ears as Michael took a seat uncomfortably close to her. "What is more important than quality? Equality. Now, studies show that today's woman, the Ally McBeal woman, as I call her, is at a crossroads."

"Michael." Jan sighed once more.

"No—I just, you've come a long way, baby. But I just wanna keep it within reason. They did this up at Albany—"

"You are not allowed in this session—"

"And they ended up turning the break room into a lactation room, which is disgusting."

"Now you're really not allowed in this session."

"Well, I'm their boss, and I feel like—"

"I'm your boss." Brooklyn fought back the urge to smirk at the power play, halfheartedly hoping Michael would keep going, as this would be her only entertainment for the day, while the other half wished he would leave so they could get this over with. Michael wordlessly stops before offering to grab anyone coffee, to which he was instantly denied.

"Women in the workplace, yeah, translation: I have been banned from my own conference room, so that Jan can talk in secret to all the girls." Michael told the camera. "Oh, sorry, 'women of the workplace'. About what, I don't know. Clothes, me... ugh."

"Ladies, I am so, so, sorry." Jan shook her head. "Can we start again? We were on such a roll. I really apologize for that."

   "Jan." Pam's quiet voice called.

   "Yes, Pam?"

   "Michael's still at the door."

   "Michael!" Jan took a deep breath to recollect herself before starting again. "So, one obstacle is how assertiveness is perceived differently between men and women. Men who are assertive tend to be admired they're called... anyone?" The women sat in silence as Jan waited for anyone to answer.

   Always one for hating awkward silences, Brooklyn spoke up. "They're usually called a boss." She said.

   "Exactly, and women who are assertive are called..." Again, no one offered to answer, save for Brooklyn.