"Um, it's been great. I like the food a lot." Lifting my heavy fork, the pack laughs at my stack of chicken breast. My hand still trembles.

"There's someone else she like though too!" The beta says, elbowing Noah again.

Heat rushes to my face as the pack continues to laugh. Noah's ear tips turn a warm pink under his lighter brown skin as he hits the beta's arm off him. He sneaks a look at me as well and looks away as our eyes meet.

It's cute when he's all shy like that.

"This is stupid." The laughter dies down and Bethany stands up, as her chair crackles against the floor. Her green eyes pierce like knives as she glares at me.

"Bethany, what the hell?" A female voice asks.

"You want us to just sit here and act like we can put half the fate of our pack in this weakling? Noah, I thought you knew better than to put emotion over logic. Samantha would'v-" The table shakes violently as Noah's hand comes down on it with a slam. Bethany is silent.

"Don't you dare." He seethes at her, getting up and storming towards the hallway upstairs.

My breath exhales as the air in the dining room remains tense.

Bethany sucks her teeth, glaring at me as she goes out the main door. Her friend follows.

My appetite dissipates.

What just happened?

Noah POV

My footsteps hit heavily against the wooden floor of my room, as I pace at the end of my bed.

Bethany can't say that. She doesn't know what Eliana is coming from. She doesn't know a fucking thing and yet she stands on this high horse like she has my job.

And then to mention-

My knees give out under me and I land on the ground hard. I barely register the pain.

I'm trying. I'm trying so hard to balance everything and she makes it all feel like nothing.

Eliana is a light for me. Running through the forest with her, took me places I hadn't been since I was a child.

It was liberating, like thousands of pounds had been lifted off my shoulders.

And she wants me to let go of even my mate.

My knees throb as I haul myself up and into my bed, throwing off my shirt.

What more do I need to give? I've dedicated my whole life to improving the well being of this pack, my pack and I still give 100 percent. I try to.

I let go of close friends, talking much to my parents, and all the fun of childhood. I knew what I had to do then and I know now.

Eliana's on my mind, yes, and I would like to do nothing but stay with her the whole day like we did today, but then reality hits me.

Bethany isn't wrong. With the trauma of a pack slave, Eliana needs a lot of time to focus on herself and I'll give her just that.

But the pack needs an Alpha and a Luna. I won't have anyone but Eliana by my side.

What does she want me to do? Reject Eliana and drown in depression? I can't do something like that. Not even for the pack.

A bitter feeling encases my heart.

Her fluffy black hair and the shine of her dark skin under the sun flash behind my eyes.

I don't want to hide anything from her but she doesn't deserve to carry this burden I hold along wit her own.

I need her to be strong for me. I need to be strong for everyone.

***

Blood seeps into the forest floor, staining dead leaves and the soil.

A roaring wind rages in the air, daring those who walk against it to push forward.

Tan fur scatters out before me as scattered limbs soon follow.

A whisper blows by ears, thundering over the cutting blades of wind.

"Useless."

Screams fill the forest as the ground beneath my feet give away to an ocean of blood.

I reach up, my filthy hands, dirtied with the blood of a wolf, crawling at the empty space. Searching for something to hold me up and catch me.

"Noah?"

I jump up in bed, breathing heavily as sweat drips down my face.

It'smyfaultIt'smyfaultIt'smyfault-

"Noah?" I flinch back, as my heart races in my chest, as my head snaps to beside me and Eliana stands by the side of my bed.

"Noah, are you ok?" The figure repeats.

I stare at her, as my breathing calms.

My arm reaches out and pulls her into my bed. I hug her to my chest, as my ear numb to her words.

Her head lays across my chest as I feel relief spread through me.

I was saved.
_______________________________________
3.83k ~ 5/16/20

Hey sorry for late update. Thanks for your support guys.

Next update the 18th.

XO.