chapter 4

Noah POV

She's the pack slave.

She's the fucking pack slave.

I was just going to avoid meeting her and go home. Even if I did see her, I was perfectly ready to reject her and leave, but now..., no the moment I held her in my arms I knew I had made a mistake I couldn't take back.

I would be hurting myself, leaving her and probably unable to focus back at home, knowing she wasn't with me.

But then finding out she was the pack slave...?

How can I go without her? Why is it her? I could have at least left her here while focusing on my pack and the rogues but now I know it's too dangerous for her here. I'm already mad she's lived here with this pack her whole life.

Carrying her to her room was easy. I followed her scent and it led to where she sends her time the most. The basement. One mattress and a thin blanket surrounded by a furnace and lots of dust.

They tried to stop me, telling me they could take care of her, but I knew something was wrong when she was on the ground, trying to clean up, obviously exhausted and her pack leaders stood there watching her with disgust.

They looked furious, instead of sorry for bumping into her.

Now sitting across the bed from my mate, my wolf sings.

"Do they hurt you?" I ask, my eyes trying to catch hers but her gaze remains focused on the bed.

She ignores me. I take a deep breath as her scent calms me. I just want to help. I need to help.

"What's your favorite food?" I ask, tilting my head down. Maybe I just have to get her used to me.

"Huh?" She finally makes a sound. I take it as a mental victory.

"What's your favorite food?" I ask again, a bit louder.

"I like bacon." She answers, glancing up at me.

"I love bacon." I beam at her.

She burst out laughing, as her shy demeanor shatters.

"You said it like a kid would. You should've seen your face." She points to me.

I stand stunned by the sound of her laughter, my wolf does too. I didn't expect to hear it so soon.

"You like my face?" I smirk at her, as the tension in the room lifts.

"My wolf loves it for some reason. She said I could trust you." Her laughter subsides and she scooches off the bed. My eyes follow her.

"What about you?" I slip off the bed as well, keeping the opposite of her.

"Me what?" She grins.

"Do you like my face too?" I ask in all seriousness.

"We'll see." She stops across the room from me, leaning against the wall as her eyes trace the room.

I'll take what I can get.

"Do you like being here?" I try again, leaning against my wall.

"It's all I've ever known. I wouldn't know if better existed." She sighs.

"It does." She meets my eyes and quickly looks down. A small pause silences the air.

"I'm fine here." She lies, back to staring at the floor, twisting her fingers together.

"Eliana, listen-"

"No, it's ok. My wolf also tells me you're my mate, that's probably why you care so much." She reasons.

"Yes, I am. But pack slavery has been outlawed for centuries now. What your pack leaders are doing to you is wrong." I push off my wall.

"No one cared until you." She looks at me again.

"Don't you care?"

"I've accepted it and I think you should too."

"Never. I won't." I approach her, as she stands still gazing at me.

"What's your name?" I flinch, stopping a few feet from her. She's unpredictable.

"Noah."

She smiles at me and nods, pushing off the wall and moving to stand right in front of me, just as I had done to her.

"Thank you for showing me something I thought I would never experience, Noah." She leans into my face.

My breathing becomes shallow as her lips near mine.

"And what's that?" I whisper, not knowing whether to press past the few inches between us or wait for the soft feel of her. My skin trembles as I contain my desire to hold her.

"Kindness." Her warmth disappears and the door opens and shuts before I can register what's happened.

She said goodbye.

Eliana POV

I didn't realize leaving your mate would be like ripping your soul in half.

My wolf howls mournfully inside me, as moisture collects in my eyes.

I can endure 24/7 torture in this house. Not having a say or good living quarters. All of that and more, but this..?

I run down to my basement and lock the door behind me, just as a tear rolls down my face.

So this is heartbreak?

I chuckle, through my grief.

Why'd I even have to meet him? What was the point of knowing he was even out there?

I can't be with him. They'd never let me go. Liam told me they needed me for something and that was the only reason I was still alive. Of course, we were 7 but the Alpha's reaction confirmed what he said.

I sob as my breathing grows heavier.

He beat me up and locked me in here for 5 days. No food or water.

Now, It's the thing holding me back from my mate.

If I choose to leave, what would they do?

Noah's here on their property, with only his beta. He's outnumbered.

A million thoughts have already gone through my head and I know this is for the best. No matter how crushed I am, I'm used to things being bad for me. I won't let my misfortune spread.

My wolf whimpers.

We'll be ok, we've survived this long without him we can just keep living the way we used to.

My wolf whimpers harder.

A knock on the door makes me jump and wipe the trails of tears off my cheeks.

It's probably Liam here to punish me for earlier.

Let's just get this over with.

Nothing he does can make me feel worse right now, but that's up for debate.

"Eliana?" Noah's voice cracks as he whispers against my door. I hold my breath.

"I'll fix this, ok? Don't give up on us so easily." And with that, he stomps up the stairs.

My heart beats quick in my chest, as I throw open the door to follow him.

This is exactly what I tried to avoid.

_______________________________________
364 ~ 4/20/20

Thank you so much for your support.

Next update on the 22nd

I hope you all are safe and healthy out there, messages from NY.

XO.