Chapter 78

"Destruction."

The house exploded in a sort of ripple effect starting first in the kitchen, at the precise time the kettle had been switched on, and then gradually through the entire first floor as the domestic gas lines erupted.

Richard's daughter died instantly, her head crushed under the weight of falling masonry while his wife died from a chest wound caused the handle of a flying saucepan.

Richard, in the middle of his phone call, died a few minutes later in acute pain from being burnt alive.

It had been a good kill.

The force of the blast had taken out both the front and back windows sending glass into the street and rear garden but no one else seemed to have been hurt.

Otto Grundig sat in his car. He removed the name badge he had stolen showing which electricity company he had been from. He placed it calmly on top of the dashboard and then casually got out of his long overalls.

He had two jobs to do; one here in England and another one in Austria. He glanced at his watch. There was still time. He estimated that he could be at the airport by eleven and at the next location by six the same night.

His second job involved a little girl but for now, as he drove out of the quiet cul-de-sac, he tried not to think of it. With luck, she would be downstairs. He was planning for the living room to take the full impact of the blast. It would be quick but if the girl was asleep upstairs then it would be a different story.

A kill, a few years ago, still haunted him in which a six year old girl had moved away from her mother and the blast had sailed over her head, ripping off her clothes and caused so many burns she was in hospital for weeks before she died.

This time, he mused, he would use enough explosives to make sure it would be quick for both of them.

+ + + + + + + + +

So is this it?

Will Kirk save his daughter?

Not much more to say really is there.

Except ... who if any will survive?

Take care.
JU