Chapter 10

"A much needed tow."

[KIRK ATTWOOD.]

I woke the next morning with a severe headache. Last night had been a resounding success and I was able to find out that not only was I in the company of four very able crew members, I was also on a ship that had three previous owners.

It was twenty-one years of age. It had two main cargo holds, an engine that had been rebuilt numerous times and one operational radar.

Apart from that, she was in relatively good health; if you ignored the grime that is.

Jimmy and Michael had been on board about eight months; Tony and Mr Yip had been with the Jupiter for three. All employed through the "Athens Crew Management Agency."

Tony was already in the mess room with Mr Yip when I arrived drinking his second cup of tea. He greeted me cheerfully enough.

'Morning Captain.'  

I listened to his report.

'The biggest problem we are going to have,' he said looking at me, 'is that we are running low on fresh water. We need to get it from somewhere within the next day or two and we have a timber ship coming in at the end of the week that needs this berth. I've already had the Dock Master visit asking how much longer we expect to stay here and we also have a problem with money; Michael is asking if we are going to get paid at the end of the month.'

I was swamped by the sheer size of the task at hand. I said I would deal with each problem in turn and to clear my head I opted for a stroll along the main-deck.

The weather was pleasant, the sun shone through a thin veil of light cloud and I could see birds in flight. It brought a smile to my face and I could even taste the salt taking in long deep breaths of satisfying sea air.

I found myself an hour later standing on the bridge wondering about my next move which primarily centred on phoning Patrick only I just didn't know what I was going to say; after all, someone had made a conscientious decision to buy this ship and someone had brought me to her. I just didn't know why.

Pat picked up the phone immediately.

'Curtis my boy. How are you?'

I narrowed down my list of questions to just a few key points.

'Fine Patrick. How was the golf?'

'Tragic my boy, tragic. Lost by six points.'

I said I was sorry to hear it and started with question one.

'So is Adam the titled owner?'

He cut me short. 'Oh heaven forbid. No. He is not allowed near a chequebook these days. No. It's Mr Stamford himself. Well umm, no; that's not true either. Why do you ask?'

I hedged my bets.

'Because some of the notices on board will need to have the owners name on them, documents will need to be correlated and I will need to make copies. I'm just trying to get a head start that's all.'

All lies of course and I was still gambling on the 'It's a brand new ship.' routine but the line went ominously quiet for what seemed an age.

'Look Curtis my boy.' Patrick had lost all his vigour.  'It seems that in talking to my secretary I may have been a little hasty in sending you out too early. Let the yard worry about all that and I'll tell you what. Do you like the West End?  Frank Abbot, our Director of Acquisitions is throwing a party within the next few days. It's in celebration of a deal he's just made. Bring Cheryl along. I know you mean well but it's not all as straight forward as I have lead you to believe. Nothing cagey mind but I suppose if you are the Captain you probably need to know, but not over the phone. Does Cheryl like Opera?  I'm sure she must. My secretary will make all the arrangements and your wife will have the tickets by the time you get back. Don't worry about the flight; she'll sort that out as well. It's a black tie event so don't forget to bring your tux. You're right of course. Anymore problems give me a call.'