Chapter 70

"The death of a friend."
[PART TWO]

Mr Peng's brother looked on in amazement as his friend Uri Takiyoma fell to the floor, then realising the severity of  what I had just done, he tried to reach for his holster.

I watched. I took careful aim and then without hesitation I unleashed a single bullet into the top half of his chest. He went down like a sack of potatoes.

More people emerged.

My arm was already extended so it was easy to shoot the next man. He came rushing through the door. He fell backwards catching another by surprise.

The man looked at me bewildered. He caught his friend as he fell but before he could move him to one side he had a bullet in his head.

Uri was right.

If you concentrated hard enough then you had all the time in the world. All you had to do was breath slowly, hold your arm straight, aim then pull the trigger.

It was incredible.

Even in the chaos that was in front of me I was still able to pick out my target and then 'bang' someone else was falling to the floor.

I killed, I aimed; I killed again and it was only when I was met with total silence did the reality of what I had done suddenly hit me.

Dead bodies littered the floor as the smell of blood started to fill my nostrils.

I looked around. No one else appeared. I strained an ear to listen for any movement outside but there wasn't any.

I eased Adam gently to the floor. I stood up and took in slow deep breaths.

I needed to escape. I needed to get away quickly. I needed transport.

I walked over to Peng. His eyes were strangely open. He had a curious look on his face. I had never seen a dead body before. I found myself staring at him for a while wondering what sort of man he had been. I then thought of his family.

Were they close? Had they heard the gun shots?

I bent down and rummaged around in his pockets eventually finding a set of car keys. I dragged Adam out and onto the veranda standing and then listening again for any noise. There was none.

I moved Adam into the car. I pushed him onto the front passenger seat ignoring his groans and then moved round to the drivers side before turning on the ignition.

I then stopped and looked ahead. I had no idea where I would go.

Adam was in a lot of pain. I knew I had to get him to a hospital. I took out my gun and flipped open the barrel disappointed that I had only two bullets left. Not a lot when pitted against a whole army of angry men that I was sure would want to come and pay me a visit.

I thought about the guns and ammunition left inside. I opened the car door only to shut it again. I started to tap the steering wheel.

If I went back inside then I knew I would be trapped all over again. It wasn't something I wanted to do.

I slammed the steering wheel hard and then engaged the clutch.

I drove off and turned left when I got to the road. It was as good a choice as any but it turned out to be more of a farm track than anything else. It was full of pot holes. We bounced. We careered one way then the next. I drove as carefully as I could.

I looked at the gauge. I had less than half a tank. It was better than nothing.

At the next hole in the road Adam was jolted forward and cried out in pain. I slowed down considerably.