Behind Closed Doors

Burrowing my face into the cold pillow next to me, I took in a deep breath smelling the scent of my shampoo on my pillowcase. Rolling under the warm sheets, I trapped my arm underneath my body, struggling to slide it under me so early in the morning. Pushing the pillows and the extra blanket near my feet, I plopped my arms over, staring up at the ceiling with my eyes still closed only seeing the sun's rays beaming through the window.

Patting my way around the bed, I stumbled with the throw blanket wrapped around one of my feet barely catching myself as I rolled off the bed.

"Jesus Christ..."

Kicking off the blanket, I crawled over to the bathroom using the countertop to lift myself up when I hear Theo's voice echo in from the hallway.

'What about strawberry's?' Theo laughed.

'Oh, shoot! Hold on.'

Rinsing my mouth, I grabbed the rob I had tossed on the ottoman heading out of the bathroom with my arms crossed and my teeth chattering. Peering my head out between the door, I could hear the sound of Eliza's door creak open and her small feet patter down the hallway as she rubbed her eyes open.

"Ellie...why are you up so early?" I chuckled.

Brushing back her hair, I swept her up in my arms while Jackson's voice continued to echo through the hallway.

"I wonder what your dad is up to now?" I whispered, stepping into the living room.

Taking in the clean and newly renovated space Jackson had hired someone to make, I wandered over quietly, standing behind the corner as I watched Jackson and Theo wait for the waffle maker to buzz.

Resting her head into the crook of my neck, I rubbed Eliza's back softly, leaning up against the wall.

"I hope there's bacon on the plate." I sighed, causing Theo to jump off the counter.

"No! You're supposed to be in bed." 

"...Well...it's 9 in the morning and I'm supposed to be at work in a few hours. I've exceeded my vacation hours." 

Pushing myself off the wall, I slid Eliza into her high chair as Jackson placed her bottle and plate of fruit and oats on her table.

"Well...surprise then." Jackson smiled, leaning over to the counter to kiss me.

"The surprise was ruined when someone asked about the strawberries..."

Gazing our eyes over to Theo, he shyly shuffled his feet around the wooden floor.

"...I just got really excited."

"I love that you did this...really. I missed you guys." I sighed, climbing onto a high chair.

"Then surprise...even though you're going to have more throughout the day."

"Really! Can we go?" Theo blurted out.

"You have school...which you should be getting ready for."

"...do I have to? I wanna spend time with you."

"You will get to spend all the time in the world with me...but in order to do that, I need you to get an education. So, let's go."

Nudging my head to the hallway, Theo took his bowl of strawberries with him as he dragged himself out of the kitchen.

"He's been waiting for this day, you know."

"So have I...but I've dreaded the second part of this day the most," I whispered.