Recognition

1 WEEK LATER.

'You said you didn't want to play the victim anymore, that you were sick and tired of being recognized as his daughter. What happened to that Elena?'

'What...what is that supposed to mean?' 

'As long as Leo still walks free, he'll always be a part of our lives...his practice interferes with our job, it interferes with our marriage.'

'I want him the hell out of our lives...if I ever see him again, if he ever steps into this hospital and speaks to you...I'll kill him.'

'Jackson!'

Jolting out of my daydream, I nonchalantly look around the dimly lit coffee shop as the blender that sat at the back of the building swirled up again. The smell of the roasted coffee beans and the dashes of vanilla slowly dushed in the room, almost like colorless clouds that drizzled their smell like raindrops above everyone's head and clothes.

The warm cup of tea I had ordered sat between my hands, still spewing out hot steam as swirls of honey floated around.

  'So, are we going to be visiting your mother this Christmas?' I heard a voice say from behind me.

'I don't know...you know how she gets during this time.'

'Yeah, but...she's your mom. She'll like us being there for her...'

Drifting my eyes up at the empty chair in my table, the shadow figures of people as they passed my window distracted me again when I suddenly hear the conversation end.

"Excuse me?" I heard the same light voice say, tapping my shoulder.

"Oh, yes?" I blurted out, looking over my shoulder.

"Oh my, God...Link, you were right?" The young girl said.

"Um..."

"I'm sorry! I didn't mean it like that, it's just he wanted to know if you were her." She added, noticing the man in front of her covering his face.

"Who is her?" I asked.

"Ignore her, please. I recognized your jacket..." He sighed.

"My brother here is an attending at Mayo, he's here to visit for the holidays."

"Brother? Oh, I thought-, sorry, I overheard your conversation...you said 'your mother'?" I leaned over.

"I'm her adoptive brother...her mom adopted me when I was a teen."

Nodding my head, his sister mentioned his specialty in Ortho as well as his concentration in children.

"Mayo, really?" I turned to ask him.

"Yes, I told my sister that I thought I saw you come in-"

"Please, he was practically gushing over you and your work." She blurted out.

"Thank you...and impressive. Mayo is a great teaching school."

"Yeah, well when I heard the Thomas-Sloan wasn't looking for anyone, I figured I'd give Mayo a shot." He added.

Hearing the bell at the door of the cafe shop hit the metal bar above, their attention drifted above my head.

"What?"

Turning around, Charlotte stood at the edge of my table, her purse tightly held beside her as he eyes stared wildly at me.

"I know I'd find you here...come on, we have to get you to the hospital." She blurted out.