The Starting Line

I've always been enchanted by the endings of things. Series finales and sunsets. Last paragraphs and encores. I think for the way they remind that losing something you love isn't always sad and heartbreaking, but sometimes breathtaking and beautiful.

Stepping out of my car, I take a breath of fresh air. Staring at the automatic doors, I lock my car, as I enter the building. The smell of sanitized floors and antiseptics in the air fill my lungs the moment I step into the lobby of the emergency room.

Walking down the halls, I find the nearest elevators, before I am greeted by the Head of Cardio.

"Dr. Sheppard, We have been very anxious for your arrival today. Our Residents are already in the O.R, they're speaking with our Chief of Surgery if you want to attend." Dr. Hahn said, a Cardiothoracic Surgeon at Mercy West Hospital.

"Thank you."

I had been invited specifically, by Mercy West's Chief to come and speak to her upcoming Residents this year, since they are going through a Merge with Seattle Grace, my Chief needed to know what the competition for our Residents are like.

"In a few days, you will no longer walk these halls. You will no longer be checking up on your patients, and informing your Attendings with their Post-Ops. What you will be doing, is working with the best Surgeons in the country, at Seattle Grace-Mercy West Hospital." Dr. Roberts says as she stands in the corner of the O.R, looking at her Residents.

"It is the best teaching school we could ever merge with, you will be taught the very specifics of your future career paths. Whether it may be Cardio, Neuro, General, or Ortho." Pausing for a while, Dr. Roberts turns to look at me, as I stand near the door.

"May I introduce to you, one of your teachers, Dr. Elena Shepherd."

Walking over to her, I am stared down by the Residents. Politely smiling at her, we exchange hugs, before I stand beside her.

"She is a World Renowned Surgeon, has 8 different specialties, including her main one, Neuro. She has won 4 Harper Avery Awards, in the last 3 years, and has 6 Medical Journals. All at the age of 24." Dr.Roberts says.

As the words roll out of her mouth, I glance around the room. Looking at the Residents, watching their eyes swell at all of my accomplishments, I begin to think back to my Resident years. How exciting it was, to finally do medical procedures, and assist in the O.R. The feeling of having a scalpel in your hand, or just holding the suction tube, to help your fellow Attending complete the Surgery.

Still continuing to block out her speech about my years at Seattle Grace, my eyes lock on a young man, who had been looking at me since I stepped into the room. His skin was a dark caramel, while his hair was black, slightly curly if you really looked at it. And lastly were his eyes, his green eyes. He kept his gaze at me until Dr.Roberts stopped speaking.

"Anything you would like to say?" She asked.

Breaking my gaze, I smile at the Residents before asking them a question.

"I want to get to know you guys, since hopefully if you're lucky enough, I will be your mentor. There needs to be trust. So say your name, where you're from, and what you want to specialize in." I say.

"My name is Stephanie, I'm from New York, and I want to Specialize in Neuro."

Softly clapping at her courage, we wait for another Doctor.

"Thank you. Who's next?"

"Uh, I'll go. Uh, Charles Percy, Brookings, South Dakota. I want to be a trauma surgeon. Or maybe vascular. Or... or, like, uh... I don't know, actually." The young man says.