The Unknown Guest

Hurrying to the elevator, Miller had given the rest of the night off to his assistant while Annelise and I stepped into the elevator while trying to come up with a plan for his meet up with Leo.

"You need to make it seem like you've never met Elena. Tell him you didn't even know he was being taken to trial-"

"Annelise, I've known Leo since I was a naive undergrad...he won't notice a thing."

"You just saw what he did...what he's been doing to me for years, he's going to know," I whispered, leaning back against the elevator wall.

"You think?"

Gazing over at Miller, I could see how uncomfortable he looked in front of me. His arms crossed consistently checking his watch and the level on the elevators as they changed.

"Ask him if he's doing a lecture...or if he's here to witness Annelise' class action. Anything besides the house, the trial, or even medicine, if he catches even a hint of anger towards you he'll suspect something." I added.

"...you really think Leo would do something to you?"

"I was pregnant a month ago and now I'm not...suddenly I was in a car accident the day after I served him with rape accusations that could ruin everything for him...yes, Leo would do just about anything to save his ass, including hurting you."

Coming to the garage floor, Miller was the first one to stride out heading straight for his car while Annelise and I followed behind.

"Are you gonna be okay meeting him? After what I showed you?" I asked him.

"...you showed me your side...I can't judge him until I see what he says."

"Miller, you just saw that he did to her...years of abuse and neglect-"

"I know that. But before I declare my entire office into tearing him down, you do realize that he's very powerful. Even if I try to fight with you against him, he'll find a loophole." Miller hissed, looking at Annelise.

"But-"

"Annelise, it's fine," I added, grabbing her arm.

"Let me talk to him, okay. I'll call you after."

Throwing in his briefcase into the passenger side of the car, he sat inside rolling the window down before changing his car to reverse.

"Cognac with a little bit of sweet tea..." I added just after Annelise walked over to her car.

"...just in case you want him to loosen up."

Stepping away from his car, I weaved through the parking lot and over to Annelise' car while she waited inside.

"What did he say?"

"Nothing...just that he'll let us know after," I added, sliding into her car.

Miller's POV

Sitting outside of Amada's, I pushed my seat back, hiding in the shadows of my car as I watched people walk in and out of the restaurant. Laughing and smiling with their partners along with groups of people coming from work, restaurant workers and valet drivers ran all over the place taking cars and orders into the parking lot.

I, on the other hand, waited. For as long as I could, I tried to make myself walk out of my car and into the restaurant where I knew Leo would be waiting for me. Where he would ask me how I've been doing, how was my new life, and if I've finally got the dream job I've always wanted. But in the back of my head, I couldn't unsee him the way Elena showed me.

Pictures of him and random body parts touching Elena, his body pressing up against her as she laid there on the bed. My hair covering her face as he pressed down on the back of her neck, showing the bruises he had given her. I saw it everywhere I saw her everywhere I looked.