The Perfect Storm

Looking up at the lights in the O.R, Ben brushes my forehead.

"You feeling any pain?" He asks.

"No, I'm fine...I just..want to see him already?"

"You're going too, and he's going to be fine." He whispers.

"I need more light in here," Ross says.

"Ross? What's taking so long?" I ask as I hear the suction tube working.

"It's fine, it's just..you won't stop bleeding?"

"Oh, whoa...um, that's a lot of blood.." Heather says as she lights the room with her flashlight.

"How much blood?" I ask.

"I don't know? It's not coming from your uterus?"

Hearing the doctors work, and the instrument hit the metal tray, I started to feel something drip down my hands.

"Brooks, shine the light over here? I feel something on my hand."

Moving the light to my right hand that's out beside me, I could see a red blotch in the tube.

"There's blood coming out of my IV. I'm in DIC, Ross, I need FFP and platelets.." Wondering where the blood might be coming from, I somehow wonder back to this morning.

"I had a fall." 

"What?"

"This morning, Ross. After Dr. Hansel checked on the baby, I think...I might have injured something in my abdomen."

"Did you feel any pain?"

"I've been in Labor!"

"Brooks, go get help, now," Ross says.

Hearing the doors open, I knew that Brooks wasn't going to find any doctors on duty or of the floor.

"Ross, we don't have time...You need to open me back up, and find the source of this bleed."

"I can't, I've never-"

"Shane, it's a basic Mid-line laparotomy. Pack the four quadrants, and find the source of the bleed. Do not let me bleed out on this table."

"Dr. Shepherd-"

"Shane, do it! Right now!" I yell.

Feeling hands work inside me, they remove the gauze as they throw it in the trash.

"I think your spleen is the source of the bleed," Ross says.

"Okay..so mobilize the spleen. Divide it by the legimentis attachments-"

"I can't I've never done it-"

"You can Shane..You've seen me do it multiple times. Mobilize, and asses. Stop the hemorrhage." I say, feeling like I'm losing my train of thought.

"Okay..okay.."

Giving the scalpel to a nurse, they start to clear the tray beside him.

"I need mets, and lap pads, please. And follow me with suction.." He orders. 

"That's right Ross..that's it." Feeling a single tear drip down the side of my face, my mind had started to wonder.

"You've got this..This is your O.R. You don't need my help-"

"Yes-"

"No, you don't. Because, I'm gonna lose consciousness in a few seconds..you're gonna be on your own. And you're not gonna freak out..."

Sensing that the room was silent, everyone had held their breath for what seemed like forever.

"And, Shane...If I arrest for more than nine minutes, let me go.."