Chapter 16: Krum and Karkaroff

Начните с самого начала

Some of the Durmstrang students laughed, and Draco just rolled his eyes.

After the dessert was finished, Professor Dumbledore stood up again.

"The time has come," he announced. "The Triwizard Tournament is about to start. I would like to say a few words of explanation before we bring in the casket – just to clarify the procedure that we will be following this year. But first, let me introduce, for those who do not know them, Mr. Bartemius Crouch, Head of the Department of International Magical Cooperation –" there was scattered applause, "– and Mr. Ludo Bagman, Head of the Department of Magical Games and Sports." There was a much louder round of applause for him. He acknowledged it with a wave of his hand and a big smile, while Mr. Crouch did no such thing. Even if he still had his own free will, I doubted that he would have done any differently.

Once the applause stopped, Professor Dumbledore continued. "Mr. Bagman and Mr. Crouch have worked tirelessly over the last few months on the arrangements for the Triwizard Tournament, and they will be joining myself, Professor Karkaroff, and Madame Maxime on the panel that will judge the champions' efforts."

Everyone seemed to snap to attention at the word 'champions,' and Professor Dumbledore noticed the change in atmosphere. He smiled and said, "The casket, then, if you please, Mr. Filch."

Argus approached Professor Dumbledore with a great wooden chest encrusted with jewels that looked quite old. Perhaps it went as far back as when the first tournament began.

"The instructions for the tasks the champions will face this year have already been examined by Mr. Crouch and Mr. Bagman, and they have made the necessary arrangements for each challenge. There will be three tasks, spaced throughout the school year, and they will test the champions in many different ways... their magical prowess – their daring – their powers of deduction – and, of course, their ability to cope with danger."

At that last word, the Hall grew silent, no other sound was made until Professor Dumbledore continued.

"As you know, three champions compete in the tournament, one from each of the participating schools. They will be marked on how well they perform each of the Tournament tasks and the champion with the highest total after task three will win the Triwizard Cup. The champions will be chosen by an impartial selector: the Goblet of Fire."

He took out his wand and tapped the top of the casket three times. The lid slowly creaked open, and Professor Dumbledore reached inside it to pull out a large, roughly hewn wooden cup. The most fascinating part of it was how it was filled to the brim with dancing blue-white flames. Professor Dumbledore closed the casket and placed the goblet on top of it.

"Anybody wishing to submit themselves as champion must write their name and school clearly upon a slip of parchment and drop it into the goblet. Aspiring champions have twenty-four hours in which to put their names forward. Tomorrow night, Halloween, the goblet will return the names of the three it has judged most worthy to represent their schools. The goblet will be placed in the entrance hall tonight, where it will be freely accessible to all those wishing to compete.

"To ensure that no underage wizards yield to temptation, I will be drawing an Age Line around the Goblet of Fire once it has been placed in the entrance hall. Nobody under the age of seventeen will be able to cross this line.

"Finally, I wish to impress upon any of you wishing to compete that this tournament is not to be entered into lightly. Once a champion has been selected by the Goblet of Fire, he or she is obliged to see the tournament through to the end. The placing of your name in the goblet constitutes a binding, magical contract. There can be no change of heart once you have become a champion. Please be very sure, therefore, that you are wholeheartedly prepared to play before you drop your name into the goblet. Now, I think it is time for bed. Good night to you all."

"Can't wait," I whispered to Becky. "Back to bed to get warmer."

She nodded her head vigorously.

We looked to Lissy and Trixy to get them to come down to bed with us, but they were deep in conversation with some of the Durmstrang students. Viktor was the only one just staying silent. He hadn't even looked over at the two young girls.

Professor Karkaroff bustled over to his students and said, "Back to the ship, then." He turned to Viktor, "Viktor, how are you feeling? Did you eat enough? Should I send for some mulled wine from the kitchens?"

Viktor shook his head as he pulled his furs back on.

The Durmstrang boy nearest to Lissy asked him hopefully, "Professor, I vood like some vine."

"I wasn't offering it to you, Poliakoff," Professor Karkaroff snapped at him. "I notice you have dribbled food all down the front of your robes again, disgusting boy –"

He glanced at me with a strange look in his eyes before quickly turning away to lead his students towards the doors.

"How rude," I said softly.

"Wha –?" Draco started to ask.

I rolled my eyes in response as I noticed Professor Karkaroff was now paused in front of the doors – frozen – and staring right at Harry. The Durmstrang students looked at him curiously as well. I always wondered how Harry got so used to people staring at him and his scar whenever they first met him. It seemed very annoying.

'Professor Moody' walked up behind him and stood standard, leaning heavily on his staff, staring at him with dislike. "Yeah, that's Harry Potter," he growled.

Professor Karkaroff spun around and his face went white within an instant, the look on his face a mixture of mingled fear and fury. "You!" he said, looking oddly as though he was hoping he wasn't really seeing him.

"Me," he replied grimly. "And unless you've got anything to say to Potter, Karkaroff, you might want to move. You're blocking the doorway."

Indeed, many students were waiting behind them, a full sleepy crowd wondering what the holdup was.

Without another word, Professor Karkaroff left the hall.

Becky and I looked at each other, our eyebrows raised in interest.