The Forbidden Fruit | 40

Começar do início

"Yep!"

"Never thought of it that way but sure."

"Aaron? What do you think?" I mumbled softly. He peered up from his phone, his eyes meeting mine and I don't know if it was my imagination or if it actually happened but my heart seemed to skip an extra beat.

He nodded his head, brushing away his hair and tucking it behind his ear. He arched his brows and shrugged nonchalantly, "sure I guess. Uhm, I gotta go, I'll see you guys later." Aaron exclaimed and before anyone could protest he spun on his heels and walked away.

I frowned deeply and slowly slipped my hand from Tyler's own, mumbling to him that I'd be right back.

Before I could lose sight of Aaron's retreating back I rushed towards him, seizing him by the arm and pulling him behind the wall beside the elevator away from everyone's eyes.

He gasped, his eyes widening when they landed on me before he visibly relaxed but then suddenly tensed. "Aaron, I'm tired of this."

"What?"

"This! You avoiding me, not speaking to me, you even refuse to meet my gaze like I'm invisible or something. Look I just want my best friend back okay? I want to have a conversation with you, I want to hug and hold you, smile with you. . .laugh. Is that too much to ask for?"

He pursed his lips in a thin line and sighed deeply as his eyes flickered shut. He leaned against the wall and stuffed his hands into his pockets and without looking at me he said, "you have to understand that I like you, Arabella. I've liked you from the moment I first saw you and I never stopped, yeah I knew you and Tyler had feelings for one another but at the rate, everything was going I just never expected you two to actually date and that's why I never had a problem before

Yeah I may sound selfish and I'm sorry for that, I care about yours and Tyler's happiness but you need to understand that actually seeing you two together. . .serious about one another. Well, I think you catch my drift. I want you in my life, always but you have to give me some time to get rid of my feelings for you. And if it means not looking at you or speaking to you because every second I'm around you you're all I can see then so be it.

So just know that I'm not angry or bitter towards either of you. I just need time. Can you do that for me? Give me some time?" He mumbled, his eyes now interlocked with mine.

I let his words register in my mind, played it on a loop as if it were a tape recorder. I didn't know how to feel, but the look on his face, I knew he was right. I can't push and rush our friendship after he confesses his feelings towards me. If he needs time then that's all I can give him.

"Okay, I'm sorry but I'd still like it if you come with us. It won't be the same without you." I said, he flashed me a small smile that didn't quite reach his eyes and nodded his head. "I never planned on not attending, don't worry Arabella."

I didn't think it would sting that much to hear my full name leave his lips but it did. I shook off the feeling and returned his smile, "thank you."

Without responding he spun on his heels and sauntered away, leaving me standing there staring at his retreating back wondering what would have happened if I really did meet him first.

~ ~ ~

"How did you come up with that?" Tyler whispered softly as he tucked a strand of my hair behind my ear. "I don't know, I just want us all to be together for this special occasion you know. Over the past three months, you guys have also become my family and I wanted us to do something special." I said.

His lips tugged upwards in a taunting smile and I slapped him across the chest, giggling as he mumbled how cheesy I was. "Hey you have to be cheesy at least once in a while am I right?"

"Sure, but you're cheesy all the time."

"I'm not!"

"Bells, stop fooling yourself." He chuckled. I rolled my eyes and sat upright, slowly he followed my movements and sat upright as well.

I leaned forward and slipped my arms around his shoulder, leaving our faces only inches away from one another. "We're gonna go out and have fun before we return to our dysfunctional families," I said, he scoffed in response, his head shaking slightly.

"You and I both."

"It'll be fine. If you're ever in discomfort think about me." I smiled. The teasing look from moments ago crept back onto his face and I shook my head vigorously as he burst into a fit of chuckles, "see told you you were cheesy."

"Shut up!"

"Make me." He winked as his arms tightened around my waist, pulling me closer towards his chest in the process. I smirked as my fingers trailed from his back to his head of curly hair, "sure Mr. Hart, as you wish."