Chapter 77: Sacrifice

Clara gritted her teeth as she tried to move her wrists, only for the rope to bite harder into the raw skin. Her legs were equally immobile, her back pressed against someone else who was only recently brought in by the woman in the skintight black suit and helmet. There were dozens of people and Pokemon around her, bound and gagged like her, arranged in a circle. The large cavernous room was supported by pillars and a network of pipes ran along the ceiling. It was barely lit, the only light coming from scattered candles and lamps, as well as the eerie blue fire from the Chandelures. 

The shadows caused by the lights moved as Cultists stalked around the edges of the large room. They had a excited air about them, as if their anticipation was too much for them. Whispers floated around Clara and she struggled to make any sense of what was being said. Litwicks moved along the ground all around, occasionally lighting up an area near some of the tunnels where they sent Rattatas skittering away back into the sewers. They occasionally moved along the captives and whenever they passed by, Clara got the shuddering sensation that her soul was slowly being sucked into their flickering flames.

A flash of red reminded Clara the Cult weren't the only ones down here. Team Flare grunts patrolled the sewer tunnels while some remained within the main chamber. One of their scientists, known as Xerosic, was busy on a laptop which had wires connected to the woman in the bodysuit.

Footsteps echoed and purple robes swished in front of Clara. She glared up at the man standing before her, his hood pulled back to reveal an aged face. "Hello dear," Sebastian knelt, smiling. "I hope you're ready to be a sacrifice to the All-Powerful One."

...

Our progress was slower now as we made our way through the old sewer systems, but this time we knew where we were going thanks to Scizor. Looking at the Bug/Steel type once more, I could see how damaged he was. He must've escaped to find help for Clara and likely almost died in the process.

After going through several different tunnels, Scizor stopped at the next junction. He nodded to the left tunnel and Looker slid down the wall, barely poking his face out the other side to take a peek. He withdrew quickly, jerking his head slightly towards it. Inteleon shimmered slightly before disappearing again as he climbed the wall towards the ceiling. Lucario lay Scizor down gently before nodding to me. Nodding back, I sent out Mawile, who was filled in on the situation by Lucario. Raticate stepped forwards, rubbing his teeth together. I shared a glance with Preston, who gulped.

Looker held up his hand, listened, then brought it down, turning the corner swiftly. Our Pokemon followed, Raticate sliding across the ground and bouncing against the wall. Following, I saw that there were four Flare grunts. They had backed up quickly, eyes wide, but recovered quick. Two balls flew over our heads, releasing a Drapion and Weavile behind us. Lucario turned on the balls of his feet, clenching a glowing fist. In front, two Houndooms bared their teeth as flames flickered around their maws. 

Looker and I rushed forwards as the Pokemon engaged one another in battle. Weavile launched herself towards Lucario, only to be hit by a thin bolt of water that slammed her into the wall. Lucario ducked beneath Drapion's extended arms, driving home his fist into the Poison type's middle. I jumped, kicking off the wall so I could spin my boot into a grunt's head, slamming her to the ground. Looker delivered a swift kick into another grunt's stomach and he crashed into his buddy behind him. 

Raticate burst through the Flamethrower, slamming his body into the Houndoom, who yelped as it was crushed into the floor. Mawile leaped over his head to slam her back jaw into the other Houndoom who had lunged for the Normal type. She whipped herself around, a blast of pink wind sending him crashing into the wall. As Inteleon kept Weavile at bay with shots of water and wind, Lucario dragged bones along the ground, assaulting the Ogre Scorp Pokemon with them. Then Lucario was caught by Drapion's tail, his arms trapped. The Dark type twisted his body around to face him, claws glowing green.