Chapter 61: Showcases of Strength

"The 6th match of the day brings us a foreign trainer, Zeno! And his opponent, the ferocious Remo! Their field is the rocky one, so let's see what interesting strategies these two trainers can show us today!"

I rubbed the middle pokeball on my belt. "Ash, you sure did amaze everyone earlier with your Greninja. While I already knew of your bond, to think you would even take down that Mega Altaria in just two hits. I'll have to do a lot to prove just how strong I am." I enlarged the ball and threw it. "I choose you!"

"Biiishaaarp!" Bisharp cried, striking his metal arms together, a clanging sound echoing around the stadium. 

Clara smiled from the stands. "So he's taken good care of you then. Thank you, Zeno."

Remo hefted his Ultra Ball, swinging it out like a pitcher. "Gurdie!"

A Gurdurr roared as it entered the battlefield, hefting a red metal beam with one hand. 

"Let the 6th match, begin!" the referee swung down his hand.

"Bisharp, use Swords Dance!" I shouted, thrusting out my hand. He clanged his arms together again, glowing swords surrounding him as his attack was boosted.

"Gurdie," Remo stomped one foot. "Bulk Up!

Gurdurr slammed his beam into the ground, his muscles expanding slightly as a red aura surrounded him.

"We can't afford to waste anymore time," I realized. "Bisharp, Metal Claw!"

Bisharp's blades extended, growing sharper as they glowed. He ran towards Gurdurr, sliding past him as he sliced. Gurdurr dropped to one knee, wincing.

Remo furrowed his brows. "Strong is he? Well, we won't be put down that easily!" He slapped his leg. "Slam him!"

Gurdurr turned around, swinging his beam in an arc towards Bisharp. He rose both arms to hold off the blow, but was still slammed to the ground. 

"Now," Remo grinned broadly. "Superpower!"

Bisharp's eyes widened as Gurdurr hefted him up, then swung him with all his might. Bisharp crashed and skidded along the ground. He struggled to stand, but collapsed.

"Bisharp is unable to battle!" the ref called, his hand moving to point towards Gurdurr. "Gurdurr wins!"

"A fantastic show of strength! In just two moves Bisharp has been taken out, claiming his first victory!" On screen, Bisharp's face faded into gray, only two of my pokeballs now highlighted still. 

"Guuurduuurrrrr!" Gurdurr roared, proudly swinging his metal beam with both hands.

"You take a good rest, Bisharp," I returned him. "Despite evolving, you're still pretty new to this team. I'll be sure to take that into account next time. In the meantime, let us finish this." I tossed my pokeball into the air, my second Pokemon being revealed.

"Amazing!" the announcer cried as the crowd gasped and cheered for my Water type. "That gleaming black skin! It's a shiny Greninja!"

"Grenin," Greninja croaked, folding both arms as he stood tall on both legs. He glanced back at me, asking a silent question. 

"Not yet," I answered, nodding. "For now, just show them what you can do! Water Pulse!"

Greninja crouched as he formed a sphere of water, shooting it towards Gurdurr. The Fighting type, lacking speed, was unable to dodge as he took the attack head on. He shook himself, slamming the beam on the ground.

"Let's push our advantage," Remo commanded. "Focus Blast!

Gurdurr stuck the metal beam into the ground and began forming a sphere of energy.