Chapter 70: Flaring Catastrophe

The helicopter flew over Lumiose City as it was currently being overrun by huge dark vines, red veins pulsing along them. Smoke rose from various places, the sounds of sirens wailing across the ruined streets. People were fleeing while some lay among the rubble. 

"We're live in the air looking down as this horrible scene," Jessie aimed the camera towards the city through the open door while James had one arm held around her middle so she wouldn't fall. "While many flee for safety, an untold number of citizens are likely hurt or worse. There is no sign of the vines stopping as they continue to overrun the city. From what we can tell, they seemed to have originated from the Prism Tower. It has been strongly advised to move away from the tower when fleeing. We will continue to provide coverage at the risk of our own lives!" 

"Oh Zeno," Jessie breathed as she lowered the camera slightly, gazing out at the hellish scene. "Please be okay."

...

"Thunderbolt!" Ash shouted as he ran through the broken hallways of the Kalos League stadium, jumping over a protruding vine. Pikachu spun around, blasting the advancing Pokemon with the Electric attack, stopping the Flare grunts from pursuing for a moment.

"C'mon Pikachu," Ash called back to his Pokemon and the Mouse Pokemon ran to catch up to his trainer. Soon they saw several more people rushing out the main doors and into the sun. Ash and Pikachu stopped as they gazed at Lumiose, the large thick vines spreading across the city. "What is happening!?"

He jerked his head up at the sound of a voice coming from a speaker. "The damages that started around the Prism Tower due to the outbreak of strange vines are still spreading. When evacuating, please make sure to move away from Prism Tower."

Ash looked towards the tower and saw something glowing red near the top. It stood at the edge, overlooking the city. "Is that..."

"Zygarde."

Ash turned and exclaimed, "Alain! You okay?"

He nodded slowly. "Yeah, fine."

Before anything else could be said, a vine broke through the ground in front of them.

"Pikachu," Ash held out his hand. "Iron Tail!" Pikachu leaped into the air and swung his tail, slicing through the vine. As it crashed to the side, several Sludge Bombs slammed into the ground just in front of both Ash and Alain.

"What-!?" Ash waved away the smoke, seeing the green-haired Team Flare scientist standing atop the severed vine alongside a Drapion. "You! The ones who wanted Squishy!"

"Ah, so you do remember," she chuckled. "But we don't need that creature just yet. What we want, is you."

"Me?" Ash took a step back, confused as Pikachu's cheeks crackled with electricity in front of him.

"Alain," the scientist turned to look at him. "The Director wants you at the Prism Tower as well."

"Wait," Ash turned to look at his friend. "You... know these people?"

Alain didn't look at Ash as the scientist laughed. "Know us? I would say he's a colleague."

"Oh, and Alain," Bryony adjusted her green visor. "She's being transported over to the tower as we speak. It would be best if you continued to comply."

"Alain," Ash grabbed Alain's hand. "Don't believe what they're saying. We need to go!"

Alain tugged his hand free and Ash stumbled slightly. In that instant, several Team Flare grunts appeared alongside their Pokemon. 

"Drapion, Confuse Ray!" 

Ash and Pikachu didn't have time to react as the attack hit them both and both fell to the ground.