Chapter 58: His Fire

"Wood Hammer!"  

The ice cracked as Mega Abomasnow's fist punched the ground, Mega Absol having leapt away at the last moment. She skidded along the slick surface of the battlefield, digging her claws into the ice, the sounds of it breaking ringing throughout the gym.

"Now then!" Alex shot out her hand. "Double Team!"

Absol immediately began making copies of herself, surrounding Abomasnow.

Caren grinned. "Oh yeah! Just try and smash my ice! Avalanche!"

Abomasnow roared, snow and ice vaulting up around him and falling towards all the Absols.

"Night Slash!" Alex shouted. "Slash your way through!"

Dark winds erupted around Abomasnow as some of the snow and ice were repelled, but all the copies were destroyed, Absol herself flinching at the attack.

"Freeze her!" Caren yelled. "Ice Beam!"

"Quick Attack!" Alex flung her hand to the side. "Then use Fire Blast! Point-Blank range!"

Absol darted around the beam of ice and came face-to-face with Abomasnow.

Alex grinned widely. "Incinerate him!"

An explosion resulted from the fiery blast, smoke consuming the immediate area around the two Pokemon. Caren coughed, waving her hand to clear some of the smoke that drifted her way. When it finally cleared, Abomasnow lay on his back, having reverted back to normal. Light glowed around Absol before disappearing, she herself having gone back to her original form as well. 

"Abomasnow is unable to battle," the Ace Trainer raised her hand. "That means the Challenger, Alex, is the winner!"

Robert and I clapped as Alex met Caren in the middle of the battlefield to retrieve her badge while Clara just yawned.

"It's your turn," Robert clasped my shoulder. "Break a leg or two."

"Very encouraging," I replied dryly, getting to my feet. 

I met Alex on my way down. "Fiery battle. The League is sure to be an interesting one with so many strong rivals."

Alex smirked. "Just watch yourself. You and Greninja may have that Bond thing going for you, but I'll still make sure to wipe the floor with you."

"Looking forward to it," we struck our fists against each other as we passed one another. "Now then, it's my turn."

I took my place at the opposite end of the battlefield, Caren already having a pokeball ready in her hand. "I saw what how powerful your Lucario was yesterday," she said, grinning. "I hope you can show me that same strength and attempt to break my lovely ice!"

I unclipped Lucario's pokeball. "You asked for it!" I swung it into the air. "Lucario, let's show her your strength once more!" Lucario growled as he landed on the ground, smashing his fist into the ground.

"The gym battle between Zeno the Challenger and Caren the Snowbelle Gym Leader will now begin," the Ace Trainer shouted. "Each side will have the use of only three Pokemon and the battle will be over when either trainer's Pokemon are unable to battle! Only the challenger may substitute Pokemon!"

"Let's freeze them where they stand!" Caren grinned widely, throwing out a Mamoswine. "Mamoswine, shake it up with Earthquake!"

"Dodge!" I shouted, swinging my hand. "Power-Up Punch!"

Lucario leaped into the air as the arena below cracked and swayed violently. He drew back his fist, slamming it into the ground, the resulting shock wave cancelling out the Earthquake around him.