Chapter 39: Breaking Point

Alex watched as Zeno knelt next to his Lucario, holding his paw in his hand. She didn't hear him say anything, but his silence spoke volumes. She could practically feel the turmoil coming off of him.

Robert put a hand on her shoulder and nodded. Alex looked back at Zeno and took a breath. She walked over carefully and looked down at him. Of course she knew he was holding stuff back from them, both information and feelings. While she didn't know how much, she had a feeling it was all eating away at him whether he would admit to it or not. She should be mad about that, but she knows she's doing the same thing with her past.

"Zeno," she said softly.

"It isn't weak," she heard Zeno mutter. "We'll prove our bond is strong."

He stood suddenly, causing Alex to take a step back. He returned Lucario to his pokeball and spoke without looking at Alex. "Let's head over to the gym."

He walked by Alex, a determined step in his stride. But she saw it and was sure Robert did as well. There was a false confidence behind Zeno's eyes. 

"Zeno," she called out to him, but whether he was ignoring her or just didn't hear her over the loudness of his thoughts, he kept walking without a response.

...

As if in a daze, I soon realized I had reached the Laverre Gym. Taking a deep breath, I pushed open the doors. I found myself in a extravagant entrance hall, a desk to my right. Four pillars held up the ceiling and a staircase was at the end of the room, opposite of the main doors. Four women wearing kimonos stood in front of the stairs and they bowed.

"Welcome to the Laverre City Gym," the black-haired one spoke. "If your business here is to battle, then walk on ahead."

They parted, two on each side, making a path to the stairs. Setting my gaze, I tried to walk confidently. "My bond is strong with my Pokemon. We can win. I will prove that."

Once up the stairs, I entered the main battling arena. With nature growing around me and the battlefield surrounded by red fencing, it reminded me of old Kantonian gardens. The lights dimmed and the red and white sliding doors making up the walls slid down. Screens lit up and flower petals seemed to fall around me as the scenery changed to a view of fall trees. A woman now stood on the opposite end of the battlefield, dressed in a kind of pink, yellow, and black kimono dress. The sleeves were big and looked like wings. Her black hair swayed behind her, eyes a soft misty black and purple.

"The gym leader Valerie has made her entrance," the other woman from before announced. 

"Ah," Valerie tipped her head slightly, eyes seemingly staring into my soul, sending a tingle down my spine. "You're a curious one. You seem to be lost in your turmoil."

She held up her sleeve as she gave a lighthearted chuckle. "If you plan on trying to win with your inner demons creating chaos within you, I'm afraid you have only come to lose."

"My name is Zeno," I gripped a fist, trying not to let her words get to me. "And I will win. So let us battle."

The other woman, who I assumed was going to referee, looked to Valerie. The gym leader nodded and the ref raised her hand. "The gym battle between the Laverre Gym Leader, Valerie, and the challenger, Zeno, will now commence! Each trainer is only permitted the use of two Pokemon! Only the challenger may substitute! That is all!"

"Two?" that was different than most other gyms. "Why just two?"

"I will choose first," Valerie spoke, sending out a Pokemon. "Sylveon, let us show this trainer our skills."