Chapter 63: A Calculating Force

"Can I ask why you're here?" I sat on the far end of the bench Kamake was sitting on. I had found her here, overlooking the stadium, a quiet little piece of land with a couple of trees.

She regarded me with her usual calculating gaze, as one would at a particularly interesting science experiment. Finally, she lowered her digital notepad. "Eve requested I do so. She said I've spent too much time engrossed in my work. Called this a 'vacation'."

I raised an eyebrow. "Really now? Well, this vacation of yours will have to be cut short tomorrow."

Kamake half-smiled. "That is assuming you are able to beat me." She stood. "It is getting late. If you would excuse me." She began walking away towards I would assume the hotel before she stopped. I got up to see Alex in front of her, breathing heavy, indicating she had ran here.

"I want to know something," Alex said once she caught her breath. She stood taller and looked Kamake in the eyes. "Why did you release your Absol? Why do something like that?"

Kamake studied her for a moment before saying, "She was no longer compatible with me."

"No longer compatible," Alex spluttered as Kamake pushed past her. "How do you justify that as a reason to abandon your Pokemon!?"

Kamake didn't answer and for a moment I thought Alex was going to storm after her. However, she restrained herself, but was still clearly refusing. As I walked over to put a hand on her shoulder, she said in a barely controlled tone of anger, "Beat her, Zeno. Beat her thoroughly."

I didn't say anything to that, just stared at Kamake's retreating form. She was an oddity. Once having worked for my father, then for Team Radiance. Someone who didn't act normal and who I still couldn't fully understand. 

After a minute, "Yeah, I'll beat her. Don't you worry."

"Good," I saw her fist tighten. "'Cause if you don't, I'll have to thrash her myself."

...

"And another overwhelming victory for Alain! His Charizard sure is something else!"

"Alain sure is strong," Ash commented as Alain walked off the field. "You say he beat your Lucario?"

I nodded. "Mind you, we weren't in the best of states then, but even if we were, I have a feeling Alain would still have won." I looked at Ash. "You two are proper rivals, right?"

"Uh huh," Ash confirmed. "I've only ever seen his Metagross and Charizard though. Greninja and I had Charizard on the ropes, but our synchronization wasn't strong enough then. But now," he grinned widely, closing his fist. "I think we could beat him."

"Better hurry up," Serena advised from where she sat next to Ash, looking at the screen. "You're battle is coming up after this next one."

"Oh yeah," I realized, standing. "Guess I'll be missing Clara's battle then." Alex grabbed my wrist as I passed her and gave me a knowing look. I nodded at her, giving her a small smile. She looked reassured at that and let me go.

I watched the remainder of Clara's battle when I got to the prep room, unsurprised when she claimed her victory. I stood, checking one final time on the Pokemon I had selected for this match. I had a general idea of what Kamake would use against me, but I couldn't be sure all the same.

"And we welcome onto the field the mysterious Kamake and her opponent, a crowd-favorite, Zeno! For this particular match-up, they'll be battling on the Ice field!"

"Oh that doesn't bode well," I thought, maybe detecting a hint of satisfaction from Kamake as the field was brought up. Ice jutted from the ground and the slick floor was going to make it harder to maneuver.