Chapter 70: Flaring Catastrophe

Start from the beginning

"Alain..." Ash managed to get out as he fell to his knees. "What on... earth is..." Then darkness overcame him and he saw no more.

As Bryony gave the order to grab both Ash and Pikachu, Alain gripped a fist, struggling to keep his emotions in check.

...

"C'mon, we have to get to Prism Tower," Alex ordered as she and the others ran through the broken streets, avoiding the vines best they could.

"But what about Ash?" Serena gasped. "And Zeno!?"

"They'll be fine," Robert promised. "Knowing them, if they're in trouble, they're bound to make it a lot worse for whoever is against them."

"Agreed," Clemont nodded. "But we have to get to my gym!"

"Oh Squishy," Bonnie whimpered, her grip on her bag tight.

"Dear Kalos region, as well as the whole world:"

All five of them came to a sudden halt as they stared at a large TV on the side of a building that hadn't been destroyed. Lysandre was being shown, speaking. 

"My name is Lysandre. Team Flare, which was formed under my will, hereby declares: We will rebuild this world into a more beautiful place." The screen changed, showing an image of the red Zygarde on Prism Tower. "This Pokemon is called Zygarde. It is a legendary Pokemon that surveys order in Kalos. We have joined forces with the tutelary Zygarde as guardians of order."

"Oi, they're stealing our schtick!" Robert exclaimed and Alex slapped his head. 

"Zygarde is angered by the actions of humanity and Pokemon. The order of this world is already disturbed. Humans are nothing but fools. When there is only one of something, they refuse to share it. And when they can't share it, they'll fight over it. And when something is fought over, some must survive without it. The only way to create a world where people live in beauty, a world without conflict or theft, is to reduce the number of lives. Only the chosen ones will live to see tomorrow! We, Team Flare, together with Zygarde's rage, will carry out the punishment. As its order has been disturbed, we will reset this world and create a beautiful world!"

...

"Why?" The young girl blinked up at the screen, wide-eyed.

"Mairin," the Flare grunt clasped his hands behind his back as he stood behind her. "We must continue on our way to Lysandre as instructed."

"No," Mairin spun around, trying to back away. "I won't!"

The grunt sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. "Why do I get stuck with the kid? Look, we're doing all this for the sake of peace. Don't you wish to grow up in a safer world than this one?" He reached out for her. "Now come on or I'll-!"

"NO!" Mairin cried out.

A hand grabbed the grunt's wrist and he looked to see Professor Sycamore with a tight hold on him. 

"Forcing a lady to do something she doesn't want to do, I can't say I care much for that." He smiled, pulling the grunt forwards before slamming a fist into his face, snapping his red glasses.

"Augh!?" The Flare grunt stumbled backwards, sending out a Skorupi. "You know how much this cost!? Skorupi, Pin Missile!"

"Garchomp!" Sycamore sent out the Dragon type. "Dragon Claw!"

Garchomp slashed through the attack, triggering a small blast and obscuring them in smoke. When it cleared, the Professor, Mairin, and Garchomp had disappeared.