//9: Upstate// *

I don't even remember waking up this morning but somehow I'm already in the passenger seat of Matty's car, I can see him lugging out a few suitcases. It's a classic New York morning. The sun is barley peaking above the horizon and everything is a little too foggy- the smell of bread radiates down from the cafe down the street. I lean forward to turn the heat on and switch to a new station on the radio. Matty slides in, smiling at me and leaning over to kiss me.

"You're finally up."

"Did you carry me out here?" He shrugs.

"Yeah, you're a bitch in the morning so I didn't want to wake you."

I scoff." Thanks." He smiles back at me.

"You're still tired aren't you?"

"A little, but I'm really excited at the same time. How long will it be?"

"A few hours." I curl my lip out and lay down against his arm.

"That's so long!"

"Shut up, you love road trips."

"I know." I say. He shakes his head and starts the car.

I have the radio on maximum high and Mumford & Sons blaring. Matty sings subconsciously along with the chorus and I let this wonderful exotic moment fill my lungs.

I sleep half of the car ride until Matty wakes me up to pull aside and eat. We are in the middle of a small township called Galesboro which, Matty tells me is only two hours from where his parents live. I'm thrilled by that news and a little disheartened because the little world that I've created with him in the car is going to be gone.

When he parks I'm overwhelmed at how cute this little place is. It reminds me of a 1940's film where everyone is wearing puddleskirts and the men have their hair slicked back like James Dean.

"Hungry?"

"Yes." My stomach was having a war with itself.

The inside is more vintage than I would have expected. A jukebox sits on one side of the room and a large coca cola sign stretches from one side to the other.

"I figured you'd like this place." He leans down to kiss my cheek and takes my hand, guiding me to a booth.

I trace the tattoo on his hand while we wait for someone to take our order.

"I want one."

"Want what?"

"A tattoo." He glances up at me like I've gone mad.

"You're not getting a tattoo."

"And why not?" He shakes his head. "Why not?" He cocks his head at me." I really want to know!"

"Because you're-I don't know."

"What? You can tell me."

"I just feel like that would be proving everyone right."

"Proving them right?"

"Yeh. I don't know like getting tattoos now everyone would think it's my fault that your inking but if you were with Adam you wouldn't even consider it."

"Yeah, that's because I can express myself with you and that's a great thing. If I asked him should I get a tattoo he'd judge me."

"I'm not gonna not let you get one because you're not my property but-maybe you could wait." I bite down my lip and take my hand from his. I don't know why but I'm immediately annoyed and I know I shouldn't be. He notices right away and grabs my hand gradually wrapping his arms around my whole body and kissing my temple.

"Don't be angry with me."

"I'm not."

"Yeah, you are." He squeezes my checks and kisses my pouty lips. "Don't be mad at me." I smile under his kiss.

"Excuse me." The waitress clears her throat. "Ready to order?" Matty pulls away from our kiss and picks up a menu and scans it for a while.

"Um a shit ton of fries?" I giggle under my breath and he squeezes my side.

"And you?" She sighs.

"Um a burger."

"How cute." She says walking away with her pad of paper shoved in her face.

"Give me a kiss." He demands.

"No."

"Give me a kiss." He puckers his lips and leans down toward me. I push my hand in his face and he kisses it.

"Ugh, why are you so affectionate today?"

"I don't know." He shrugs. "I'm just glad that you're with me and not him."

"Me too." I finally lean in and give him a kiss.

I love him so much it hurts to even kiss him because- I can't even explain. I love him more than I can even comprehend and it scares me. I love the way he speaks, I love the way he only looks at me, I love the way everything to him makes sense.

"You're literally everything to me." I say under our breath. "And I wouldn't have it any other way."