Chapter 17 : Wine's Shade

Beginne am Anfang

"I suppose you do know how to read," Cloyd scoffed.

Arrington started going through the letter and his forehead wrinkled; face distorting in discomfort.

"No, I would not sell more than sixty percent of my shares to you!" He exclaimed.

"At double the price," Cloyd added for him to rethink.

"Absolutely not! I will not sell my shares at any price!" Arrington slid the offer back to him but Mr. Deighton was not the one to back off so easily.

Geldard was standing behind him and smiled sympathetically.

Mr. Deighton said in a humorous tone, "Heard that Geldard, he will not sell his shares... at any price!"

"You mock me?" Arrington questioned in disgust.

Cloyd extended his arm and Geldard placed a file over his palm. He tore open the seal and pulled out certain shocking black and white images of Lord Arrington. Arrington's eyes bulged out of the sockets upon seeing himself captured with the wife of a textile merchant in the first image and enjoying cheap alcohol at an illegal club party in the second. His face paled and he quickly snatched the images from the table.

"I have the copies with me," Cloyd supplied and played with the crystal paperwieght.

"I am sure Woltaine Timeline would love to add a sizzle about the very famous chairperson of Reumaria Stones and Jewelers - Lord Oliver Arrington in tomorrow's headlines."

"How dare you?!" Lord Arrington yelled back and balled his hands into fists.

"I often finish my business in peace but you leave me no choice," Cloyd growled making Arrington's face show signs of fear. He pulled out a white cloth and gently dabbed his forehead to remove the sweat.

"I will sell you my shares," Arrington said in defeat, fearing his reputation.

"At the same price," Cloyd spoke making Arrington jolt up in his seat.

"But you said you would pay twice!" He exclaimed in disbelief.

"But you declined it," Cloyd took the paper that Arrington had previously slid away and handed it to Geldard who threw the paper in the firepit.

"This is ridiculous!" Arrington spat.

"I gave you the chance to rethink but you were so quick on your actions to deny. And, I do not repeat my offers," Cloyd drummed his fingers on the table without looking at the raging Arrington.

Arrington glared and wanted to kick his arse but he very well knew he can't if he intended to save his own.

"Fine."

Cloyd smiled warmly and shook hands with a reluctant Arrington who tried to squeeze his palm painfully but it didn't make the man to wince in pain or retreat his hand.

Cloyd stepped out with the unfazed confidence and walked ahead towards the end of the street by a liquor shop. He stood at the corner where a man in black suit, carrying a brown brief case had already been waiting there for him. He gave a knowing smirk and handed him a bundle of green.

__________________________________

"Bravo!" Cloyd nodded and added, "One step at a time and we shall soon take over."