It was a Sunday, and I told my parents to let me drive down to the hospital myself, since I never used my car, due to the fact that I had nowhere to go. It was all normal at first, I felt really independent and ready to go through life on my own. But that was when the dizziness came in, and the next thing I know, I was heading straight off track to the woods.

My Mom almost died and my Dad got rid of the remains of my car. Doc advised against driving and that's how I ended up hitching rides with Mom and Dad to the hospital, or whenever I decided to follow my Mom to her boutique which she had always been reluctant to accept.

So, my Mom going mute right now, was totally justifiable.

"Your car keys Mom?" My voice was starting to sound a little bit impatient.

She stood to her full height. "No." She said.

"You didn't even ask what I wanted to use it for." I stated, the impatience clearly audible.

"Why would I ask you that? Doc said you aren't-"

"I know, but it's not that far, where I'm going- it's just Palmwall Street-"

"What are you going to do at Palmwall street?" She asked, curiosity lacing her tone.

"Um... I'm supposed to be meeting someone? At their home."

Her eyes widened. "You're joking."

"I'm not."

A smile grew on her lips. "Who? Is- is it someone from school? Wait- is it Mandy? That sweet girl who invited you to her party last night?" She asked, dropping her tape measure and coming towards me.

"It's someone from school but it's not Mandy." I said.

"Oh my God! That's great news! Is it another girl or a boy?" She asked.

"A girl mom, we're working on something for graduation, nothing serious. Are you giving me the keys or should I just take a-"

"I'll drop you off at her place." She said, removing her little belt of drawing tools.

"Um... no? You don't need to do that- like drop me off everywhere-"

"Since when has that ever been a problem?" She asked, grinning at me. "Come on, you don't want to keep her waiting do you?" She said, grabbing her phone and walking past me.

Why did I ever think she'd agree to this again?

_

"It's okay, you can just drop me here." I said.

My Mom shot me a confused look. "Uh... it's just two houses away, Colby."

"Yeah, I know that's why I'm asking you to stop here. I'll just walk the rest of the way." I said.

She moved over to the side of the street, shutting the engine. "Why don't you want me to drop you off at her doorstep? I would love to see her and her Mom and-"

"Mom, that is exactly why I don't want you to drop me off there, okay? It'd be weird, and really awkward and I don't want to freak her out by bringing my mom along, that's just not right."

She didn't speak for sometime, just staring at me like I had said something harsh enough to kick the words out of her mouth.

I sighed. "Mom, come on. I know you're ecstatic about me making friends and having a social life, and I'm glad that you're here for me but-"

"Are you ashamed of me, Colby?" She asked out of nowhere.

My eyes widened, her question taking me by surprise. "Ashamed of you? Why would you-"