Letting out the wolf

THE NEXT DAY...

Sam's POV

"Time to get up Cassie!" I heard mum yell in the room next door and knew that it applied to me too.  I buried my head in the purple pillow and let an agitated moan escape me.  Not another rotten day of boring old pointless school.

Liam's POV

I stood under the shower listening to Zayn yelling at me from outside the bathroom, telling me to hurry up becaue we would be late if I didn't finish soon.

"Well now you know how the rest of us feel Zaynie!" I yelled back mocking him, and heard Niall's unmistakeable laugh beside Zayn's fuming.  I knew Louis and Harry were already down in the kitchen eating, but Zayn wouldn't go anywhere without getting ready first.

Harry's POV

I sat at the round antique dining table in our cosy little kitchen.  This table had once belonged to our Great Aunt Eloise, a nutty old lady who liked to collect miniature porcelain owls.  Louis was silently mowing through a bowl of cornflakes and I had plain buttered toast and a glass of orange juice which I wasn't going to drink.

I could hear yelling coming from upstairs, probably Zayn telling Liam or Niall to get out of the shower.  I could have listened to the whole conversation but I really couldn't be bothered to waste my energy on such trivial things as heightened senses.

Just then Louis stood to clean his bowl and left with his school bag, leaving me alone to eat my toast.  I heard the jangle of car keys and Mum left the house too.  Dad would be long gone, probably a few towns away on some business trip.  Mum was only going down the road to the aged care medical centre as she's a nurse and treats all the old people with mental dysfunctions as well as injuries or illnesses. 

I sighed, rising off my seat and slinging my school bag over my shoulder.  I yelled a quick goodbye to the boys and darted out onto the street.  Louis was nowhere to be seen so I wassumed he'd gone for a run, and I decided to follow him.  I quickly glanced around but there was no one around, not even peeking out their window, so I dumped my bag under the park bench type seat in the yard and started walking down the road.

Gradually I broke into a jog, then a full sprint letting my wolf come out so I was merely a blur until I shifted and bounded to the forest.

~~~~~~

The forest had an unnatural creepiness to it today and I shivered as I stared around the dimly lit clearing.  I turned in a circle to check that it was safe, surveying my surroundings, but it just seemed like regular forest to me.

Deciding against my gut instinct to turn back now, I carried on into the undergrowth, but as I ventured slowly forward, a terrified scream filled my delicate ears and my neck snapped to the source of the scream.

There it was again.

I bounded off into the forest at over 120 kms per hour in the direction the screams were coming from.  eAch scream, each yell, each howl of fear got louder as I neared, and as I got closer the scent of fresh blood hit my nostrils like a bullet only propelling me faster on my legs, untill I skidded to a halt in another sunlight deprived clearing.

A snow white wolf lay in the leaves panting heavily while a puddle of red liquid grew and pooled around him, staining his white coat bright red.

OH MY GOD.

I quickly shifted back to human form and ran to the wolf, my Louis.

"Louis?  Louis!  Wake up Lou!  Please don't leave me!"  Tears streaked down my face and Louis' warm blood stained my chinos as I held him in my arms stroking his wet fur.  Multiple bites and scratches covered his body, but the worst was a massive bite, most likely from another wolf, puncturing his side and leaking blood continuously. 

Laying his head on the ground carefully, I stepped back and shifted; this was going to drain a lot of my energy.  Once a wolf, I howled to my body's capacity, calling the other boys to help.

~~~~~~

The first to arrive in a matter of minutes was Niall, panting heavily, even for him, as he shifted as he ran to the scene.

"Oh my god, what happened?" he asked frantically as he inspected the cuts for himself.  By now I had shifted and ripped my shirt off, using it to stem the flow of ruby liquid from Louis' main bite.

"He was attacked, duh," I replied, seeing as it was obvious.

"Harry," Niall warned, "this isn't the time for being smart." I sighed apologetically and Zayn appeared through the trees, using the same shifting manouver Niall had used, and kneeling across from Niall over Louis' limp wolf form.

Way to go, Liam.  Always acting so brave and sensible, but in Louis' time of need he was nowhere to be seen.  Just as the thought crossed my mind Liam bounded out of the woods and ran to crouch beside Niall, leaving me the only one standing.  Again, me being the one left out, the youngest etc. etc.

"Come on Harry, help us," Niall scolded.  God, bossy boots it's not like I was the one who found him or anything.  With a roll of my eyes I knelt down beside Zayn and began re-inspecting the wounds.  Louis was completely unconscious now, his breathing shallow and raspy while the blood was thinning as it dribbled.

"We need to get him home," Liam said in the silence.

"How? We can't exactly carry him like this or like that either," I said obviously.

"But guys," Zayn cut in, "don't you think we should find whatever animal or creature did this to him?"  We all nodded in agreement and an idea popped into my head.

"How about I stay and search the forest and you guys take him home?" Not only would this be beneficial to our case, but it would also spare me the commanding by the older pack members and their quarreling.  I heard a sigh and we all snapped to look at Niall.

"Fine, but don't be too long and if we call you have to come straight away," I nodded, before standing and shifting, and I could see the longing in the others' eyes too, like they wanted to be in their much more comfortable wolf form.  Another perk to my idea: I could go wolf for a while and forget about the trivial worries of the human world.

I stalked away from the clearing, leaving the boys with a half dead Louis and a huge problem.  After running for a good twenty minutes - who knew a local forest could be that big? - I stopped at a noise.  Far off inthe distance I could hear tenor singing, not quite baritone.  From the voice and the steady thud of foosteps I could tell that it was a middle aged man, probably about 45, with a stocky build, probably a -

Oh no.

A hunter!