Chapter 4- October 1st

*for those who have read the original chapter 4- I had to re-write it and this is the new version. I had to set it up so that 'Zoe' went to a different school, for reasons that will make sense later on. I apologize for my error! As I worked on some details of the rest of the story, I realized the conflict that it would create if I had kept Miller, Rachel, and Zoe at the same school. Also, in real life, 'Zoe,' did not go to my school anyway. I promise the reason will make sense eventually, but for now, enjoy the new version of the chapter!*

October 1st

I applied lipgloss using the reflection from my phone as I sat in the passenger's seat of Jessica's car. She sat in the driver's seat and fixed her eye makeup in the rearview mirror.

"I hope Tyler is at this party," Jessica said as she applied mascara, "he has been looking so good recently. Also, he's actually smart and has some depth, which is a wonderful change compared to the guys that go to our high school."

I laughed and closed my tube of pink lip gloss.

"I'm sure he will be. Apparently, Jase invited people from different schools, too. So, there will be a whole new crop of guys for you to choose from."

"Oh, this is going to be like Disneyland for Amanda." She laughed and stuffed her makeup in her black crossbody bag.

We climbed out of her car and headed down the street to Jase's house. There were cars parked from Jase's driveway to the end of the road; this was going to be fun. I adjusted my black crop top and ran my fingers through my hair. I opened the front door and pounding music immediately flooded the air. There were a bunch of people I have never seen before standing around the large pool table in the living room. Jessica and I made our way to the kitchen and began to search for our friends.

"What's up, ladies!" We turned around and saw Jase walking over to us, holding a stack of Solo cups and a rack of beer. He wore an orange t-shirt and black basketball shorts. Why is it that guys can show up to a party looking like they just rolled out of bed, yet girls spend the better half of their day getting ready; a mystery of society I will never understand.

"Hey, Jase," Jessica hugged him. I stood next to her and awkwardly smiled. I wasn't great at talking to guys, or, people in general. At least, in my opinion.

"Thanks for coming!"

"Yeah, of course," Jessica yelled over the loud music, "but where is, like, anyone we know?"

"Probably outside by the hot tub," Jase pointed towards the sliding doors in the back of his kitchen, "I'm pretty sure Miller is there, too." Jase smiled and nudged me.

I felt myself blush and smiled at the floor. Why was I so awkward? Jase handed Jessica and me a few beers, and we headed outside. Some people were in the hot tub, and the rest were scattered across the deck. We spotted other girls that we knew and headed in their direction.

"Rachel! Jessica!"

We turned around and saw Amanda climbing out of the hot tub in a bright pink bikini. She stumbled to get her footing and slid on the wooden deck. A guy I've never seen before wearing only swim shorts followed behind her, struggling to hold her up. He grabbed a towel that was hanging over the railing of the deck and wrapped it around Amanda's shoulders.

"Hello, my best friends in the whole wide world!" she squealed and hugged Jessica and me, dripping water all over my top. She reeked of tequila and had a massive, drunk smile plastered on her face. I loved Amanda; she was always a good time and was constantly living in the moment. I longed for her care-free vibe... and her body. She was so hot, and it was borderline irritating.