Chapter 26- March 3rd

March 3rd

I knocked on the front door of Miller's house with a shaky hand, not even sure if I used enough strength to make any audible noise. I have suddenly grown exceptionally on edge around Miller. Like, I am always walking on eggshells. I'm not sure why.

I heard the lock from inside the house turn. I guess I did knock loud enough.

"Hey, beautiful," Miller said as he opened the door.

I felt my heart start beating a little slower, and I felt myself relax. I didn't even realize I was tense. I leaned in, and he kissed me gently on the lips.

"Hey, yourself."

He smiled at me, and I slid off my shoes as I looked him over. He wore baggy, grey sweatpants and a white t-shirt. He looked so good.

"So, what do you want to do on this fine Saturday afternoon," he asked in a goofy tone.

"We could do something crazy, like, watch a movie," I joked.

He laughed, and I followed him into the kitchen. He pulled out two glasses from the cabinet above the sink and opened the large, steel fridge.

"What do you want to drink, baby? I've got water, soda, iced tea?"

I shuttered for a second when he mentioned the iced tea, remembering the incident just a few days ago. I legitimately felt my body jolt, and I looked at him, desperate to see if he was trying to fuck with me.

He looked back at me and smiled. "Well?"

He really didn't remember. I'll let this go.

"Water is fine."

I pulled my phone out of my pocket to check my texts as he filled up two glasses of water.

"Oh, crap, that's right," I mumbled to myself as I read a text from Jessica.

"What's up?"

"It's Jessica," I replied as he handed me a glass of water, "I forgot that I left my Chemistry textbook in her car and she's going out of town until Monday. I'm going to need it to do my homework tomorrow."

I paused and looked up at him nervously.

My phone chimed, and I looked down to read her next message.

"Oh! She said she is at Starbucks doing her homework, and she offered to swing by your place on her way home to drop off my textbook. Is that okay?"

"Yeah, just to drop off the book?"

"Mhm," I replied, trying to force a smile to mask how anxious I was at this moment.

"Then yeah, no problem. We can chill downstairs while we wait for her."

I nodded, surprised at how relaxed he was about this.

Sometimes I feel like I assume the worst in him.

I followed him to the couch in front of his large TV and plopped next to him. He wrapped his right arm around me and clicked through channels on the remote with his left hand.

My phone chimed, and I looked down to see a text from my Dad. I began reading it to myself.

"Why is he texting you?"

I looked at Miller to see him looking over my shoulder at my phone. It made me a little uncomfortable, but I wasn't going to say anything.

"It's nothing," I replied and turned my phone face down on the coffee table, "he just wants to make sure I am still going to visit him next weekend. He has been asking all week."