Eating Disorders: The Road to Recovery

These are no joke, and having these can be tough. Having struggled with EDNOS myself, I understand it's effect.
The voice whispers in your head, telling you you're not slim enough, or you don't have the perfect figure, or you haven't burnt enough calories.

Dealing with one can be extremely difficult, but you can rise above them.
Notice I said "rise above", not " cope with." You don't have to be forced to manage your problems when you can overcome them. It may not be easy, but it is possible.

Picture the end product.

Imagine you finally got better. You stopped constantly checking scales, saw your period again, and wasn't repulsed by sugary foods. Picture the reactions of your family and friends, picture how glad they would be.

Also, imagine the opposite. You lapse several times, your health deteriorates. Imagine the ripple effect: Your grades fall, and your loved ones are filled with despair.
This should be a motivation.

Avoid pro-ana and pro-mia websites or apps.

Don't follow websites who glorify eating disorders such as anorexia and bulimia. The people behind them offer "support" that can be destructive to your recovery. Avoid them. Even better, report them.

Don't diet.

Don't set strict rules for yourself, because it will be easy to relapse into old habits. Stretch them a little bit. For example, if you made a rule to never eat chocolate, tweak it to eating chocolate everyday.
Baby steps, that's all it takes.

Try to build your self esteem.

If you're confident in yourself as a person it would be easier to rise above the mentality that says weight loss is your key to happiness.
When you do this, you won't feel so intimidated be slim models you see on television or in magazines.

Once you realize beauty is relative and has no universal standards, you won't feel the need to chase an imaginary one.

Try to stop comparing yourself to others, also.

Seek professional help.

Therapy can improve your chances to recover speedily. Talking to a friend about your problems helps, too.

Be patient.

Your recovery won't happen overnight. You need patience. If you lapse, don't beat yourself up. Don't let guilt or shame reduce your chances of getting better, and instead think of how else you could have handled the situation.

There are so many more things that need to be said, but I'll stop here for now. I hope this helps those that are struggling.