Bodies

"We can't just leave his Dad laying here!" Kirenda protested. "Well what do you expect us to do? I'm not letting us split up when more of those wild things could be running around." Ben argued.

"Guys, Ben's right, We can't spilt up. But so is Kirenda. I'll just take the body with us. Im sure there's somewhere safer we can put him until he's ready for burial." Drew said, gesturing to the body of what was once a chief laying on the grass across the trail.

Seeming happy with the compromise, the arguing ceased. Ben knelt down and got ready to scoop up the sleeping Cornette while Drew crossed the path, getting ready to pick up a body of his own.

"Wrapped up in a big white sheet, ready to be planted six feet deep." Drew mumbled as he lifted up the body with a sickening feeling.

"Worms crawl in, worms crawl out, worms crawl through.." Drew continued until he was cutoff with a cry of disgust from Kirenda.

"Can you please stop?!" Kirenda begged. "You're grossing me out!" All of the guys laughed but no one had the guts to continue the old poem.

With bodies in hands, the group set off back down the trail. Drew carrying the dead body of the past chief, Ben carrying Cornette's passed out body, Kirenda holding the bag, and Adam manning the shotgun, they all began back to the infirmary.

"You know. I was actually pretty excited to dig my first grave today." Drew began. "I wasn't expecting a trip from good old insanity. And now I'm carrying the body rather than burying it."

Everyone chuckled. Not necessarily because it was the funniest but because it was true. No one had expected Cornette to snap like that, even if he had gone through a lot.

And rather than carrying bodies back to the infirmary, everyone had been expecting to watch Drew eagerly digging his first grave. Sure it wasn't funny, but it was true. And they laughed.