ix

[Word count: 3,700]

| chapter - nine |

\ we happy few, part-one /

> episode - five <

"Don't you know how tic-tac-toe works?" Linnett asked, raising a brow as she watched him struggle.

They were settled in a home that was a decent size with an upstairs, in Southern, Illinois. It was nice to be in a regular house for once, and not in the bed of a pickup truck. Outside got a little bit too windy, so they decided to rest in this cute little settlement and feel human for once in three-years.

Cassandra laid down on the leather couch, as Linnett sat more down where her legs were. Doing her best not to disturb the girl who also had a dark past, so she sat right on the edge to allow her to rest thoroughly.

10K sat up on a singular chair that could be turned into a recliner. Using one of his knives to carve into the small wood Linnett found from outside. As they played a game of 'tic-tac-toe' out of sheer boredom.

Linnett shook her head, "You don't go twice, you only go once. You carve your circle into one of the squares, and then it's my turn and I carve my exe into another of my choosing. And we take turns, until one of us gets three in a row, cross it out, and then be claimed the winner." She explained. "Does that make sense?"

But of course, Linnett was the 'X'. It would only make sense.

10K nodded, "I think so... yeah."

"Did you live in the middle of nowhere before the outbreak?" She tilted her head, figuring that'd be the only way this boy would be clueless of such a simple game.

He opened his mouth to speak only for a croak to come out, "Uhh..." His eyes looked around.

Linnett shook her head, "I'm just kidding, Ten. I'm giving you a hard time." She smiles with a giggle. "Blame my biological father, I got it from him."

It wasn't long until she crossed a line, "Well that was fast," Ten commented, eyebrows raised.

"Yeah, well, it's a small game." Linnett countered. "But nobody has been able to beat me, so far, anyway." She gives a small grin.

"Hey shhh. Hold on, he's back on." Garnett's voice cooed as Ten and Linnett brought their attention over, the man lifting a cup to his lips whilst listening closely.

"Friends, I'm talking about mean weather coming in fast." The voice of Citizen Z spoke through the radio using a silly voice. "Some reports of tornadoes. Find shelter and take cover. It's dangerous out there; more so than usual." And then. "Now back to the soothing sounds of the Apocalypse..."