Chapter 17

"We're engaged."

Those two words can change the entire world. Change my entire world. Being engaged leads to marriage and marriage can lead to being taken for the rest of your life. I mean, you could get a divorce, but that's just not right. You promise to spend the rest of your life with that person. Engagements can break hearts or make days. It can dictate the rest of your life. If someone else loves you too, their whole world can crumble. They'll feel like nothing matters anymore in life. Or your friends can be so happy. They can offer to help you plan the wedding. Take you to lunch to every day or inquire about the whole thing in every phone call and text.

But when Crystal said those words, I didn't feel either of those feelings. I just simply felt surprised like everyone else. They're seriously engaged? No, that can't be because they only just met. I mean, Harry and I kind of only just met, but at least we waited at least a year to even consider the idea of spending the rest of our lives together.

And that's totally weird because we called them all together to announce that we're getting married. Is it really a coinicidence that we're engaged at the same time? Or did Zayn plan this just so I can rethink my engagement to and love for Harry, and think about going to him?

"Congratulations!" Eleanor rejoices. She jumps up instantly and hugs Crystal. Sophia, Liam's new girlfriend, joins in with Eleanor and hugs her. I just sit awkwardly next to Harry, wondering what I should do. Instead of looking at any of the guys or girls, I look at Harry for some help.

He looks just as surprised. Wtih my eyes, I ask him what we should do. He just shrugs his shoulders. We're both very lost in the whole thing. Oh, god. This is going to be awkward. Do we announce our engagement, or would that be rude? Crap, at this point, I don't even know how Zayn will react to anything.

"Natalie, Harry?" Both of our heads snap to Crystal's sad, big eyes. Oh, good god, she's not going to cry is she? I think to myself. "Are you alright? Are you not approving of our engagement?"

My eyes flicker over to Zayn who has a mixed expression. He looks both annoyed and sad that we haven't said anything about the whole thing. My blood runs cold at his face. I don't want to hurt Zayn in any way, but I just don't know what to say to any of it. They're seriously getting engaged at the same time we are, but they haven't know each other as long? That's weird to me. I'm not accusing him of trying to make me jealous just as I engaged to Harry or anything, but I just think that's kind of weird.

"I knew this would happen," Crystal whimpers, gaining my attention again. Well, here we go. Everyone on the Crystal Bullshit Train. "I was so happy when he proposed to me, it was all so theatrical. We were walking outside at the park, it was cold and we were holding onto each other to warm up, and then he just gets down on one knee, and proposes." Why the fuck do I care about how he proposed? "I didn't expect it, but I was so happy. After accepting of course, the first person who comes to my mind isn't my friends or even my family; it's you, Natalie. You were the first person who came to mind when he proposed. I was afriad that you weren't going to be okay with it. And I value your opinion so much." Cue the tears. "I'm sorry if I don't live up to your expectations, but can you please support this?"

"Are you fucking kidding me?" I want to yell at her. "Sure, Zayn and I had a past together. Sure, as young children, we loved each other, then hated each other, and then loved each other again. Sure, we made out when we went back to Bradford together, but that doesn't mean anything to me now. I love Zayn, honestly, but I'm in love with Harry, and I always will be. And since I love Zayn, I want him to be happy with anyone he chooses. And if finds himself happy with your lying, fake, bitch ass, then I'm totally fine with that. I'm not going to judge his girlfriend or fiance because that's not my fucking place. Trisha can judge you. That's her job as his mom. I'm not his motherfucking mom. I'm not even his ex-girlfriend. Don't be so desperate for my approval because in the end, Zayn is a grown-ass man who can date whoever the fuck he wants, alright? I'm glad you're engaged, but don't be so thirsty for my approval. At the end of the day, if I like you or don't like you, it doesn't matter; as long as you make Zayn happy, you titty-bong. But if you want my honesty, I have no idea what he sees in you. You're an annoying, irritating, attention-seeking whore that will lie and cheat to get whatever she wants. But anyways, congratulations both of you."