Chapter 3

Lucy is up early. It is Monday morning, and she is sipping her tea when Benjamin comes out of their bedroom, ready for work.

Ben walks up to her and kisses her on the cheek. "Good Morning"

Lucy puts down the cup that she is holding and returns her husband's kiss "Good Morning, Ben"

"Up so early, eh?" he asks while rubbing the sleep off of his eyes.

"I'm going out and I'll be back by lunch." She answers

"Where are you going? Do you want me to go with you?" he asks, worried about his wife going out alone. He doesn't like the idea- the streets of London are very dangerous.

"No, it's alright. I'm just going to the… to meet a friend" she stands up and starts walking towards the door, ready to leave.

He grabs her hand to stop her and she spans around to face him, surprised by his action. He hugs her then he kisses her on the cheek "Alright, take care."

Lucy smiles at him then leaves.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ben watches his wife as she descends down the stairs up to the road until she disappears. He does not know where Lucy and her friend will meet up. If only he could prevent her from going outside all by herself- he will. But, he knows that his wife needs some time alone- without him. He trusts her and he thinks that she can protect herself because she's a strong woman. 'Who are you kidding? She's fragile' he gives out a defeated sigh and shakes his head.

He walks towards the small table beside the window where all of his barbering tools are placed. He fixes them; he also cleans and shines his razors. After his daily routines are done, he walks towards the door and flips the sign from close to open.

Walking back to the barber chair, Mrs. Lovett suddenly comes into his mind. 'Maybe I should check on her, after what happened yesterday.' He doesn't know how she's going to react in seeing him, but he just feels like seeing her. He is about to go down but a customer comes in.

"Good Morning, Sir." He greets the customer enthusiastically. He takes the customer's coat and directs him towards the barber chair.

"A shave is badly needed." The customer says as he makes himself comfortable in the chair.

After preparing what he needs for the shave, he proceeds to lather the customer's face then begins his shaving.

"Nice weather today." Ben says, attempting to create a conversation; but the customer grunted disinterestedly. He knows that his customer is not in the mood for talking, so he remains quiet all throughout.

After he finishes shaving, the customer pays him then leaves hurriedly. Seeing that he now has the chance to visit the baker downstairs, he immediately closes his shop before someone comes in.

He goes downstairs then stands at the front door of Mrs. Lovett's bake shop. He hopes he will not get any bad reaction from the barker. Mustering all his courage, he steps inside the shop and finds the baker where she usually is- behind the counter- kneading the dough that is obviously for the pie.

The baker does not stop on what she's doing, nor looks up to greet him. He doesn't know if she didn't notice his arrival, or she's just ignoring him. He clears his throat rather loudly then says.

"Good Morning, Mrs. Lovett."

Eleanor stops kneading the dough and looks at him. She looks like she is going to say something, but is cut off when her hand flies to her mouth and her eyes widens. She runs from the counter to- Ben doesn't know where. He doesn't know what happens to her so he decides to sit on one of the table and waits for her to come back. Approaching the seat that he chooses he is suddenly stopped by the sound of someone retching. Thinking that it is the baker- which, of course it is, he follows the sound.